;; But I Had A Tiara: Was I Dreaming?

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Was I Dreaming?

(See Related Poll Results At Bottom Of Post)

Last night I thought we were going to watch the results show for American Idol. But it was their fundraising night. I was moved by the different stories of people from here in the U.S. and all over the world, so we watched.

I could talk to you about how it was a great opportunity to talk to my younger kids about what organizations we give money to (mostly Oregon Right To Life www.ortl.org and International Medical Teams , www.medicalteams.org)and why. I could tell you this was the first time I have heard Fergie sing and that I think she was great. Or we can talk about the daughter of Billy Ray Cyrus,15 year old singing sensation Mylie Cyrus, discuss how she has gotten so popular and my opinion on young girls who act or dress like they are grown women. I could talk about the irony of Mariah Carey, who just within the last few weeks said she doesn't think she acts enough like a diva and should be even more demanding, singing about pain and suffering in the world and asking for the Lord's help. But, those would be bunny trails -- so I won't mention them.

My point is what happened at the closing of the show. Ryan Seacrest announced that the finalists were going to sing "Shout To The Lord". Pan over to the finalists all dressed in white, flanked by singers in choir robes. What? Did I roll over on the remote and change the channel? Sure enough, I hear the familiar intro to a song I know so well. I did catch the change of the second word of the song, "My Shepherd" instead of "my Jesus". Too bad. But they went on to sing the entire song, sounding beautiful, with individual interpretations of certain parts by each artist.

There are two ways we, as Christians, can view this. We can roll our eyes and say how we are so sick of Hollywood using God at their convenience, for their own reasons. And we'd be justified, just as we are when we get upset about people who wear a cross only as a fashion statement.

Or we can rejoice that a song as powerful as this was used in a television program, broadcasted all over the world.

I get pretty mixed reviews in chatting about it. Most feel a certain way, but can see how others might feel differently.

I'd love to hear if you watched and how you felt about it while watching, or how you feel about reading about it. Which opinion do you have? Please vote in my poll, send your friends over to vote, and write your comments.

Please read my follow up post listed above...


I asked the question: "How Did You Feel About the song "Shout to the Lord" being sung on American Idol last night?" I left the poll open for one week.

Here is the input I received:

It bothered me. I can do without Hollywood using God to be trendy.23%

I loved it. I think it is wonderful that a powerful song was broadcasted to millions of people through a mainstream source. 70%

Don't care one way or the other. 5%

5 comments:

Sarah Vertner said...

I didn't finish watching the recording yet! I didn't realize that they sang that at the end - how cool! I admit, I have had that same mix of emotions - joy that God is being glorified, but skeptical of the motive - it is Hollywood after all...

But it seems to be a new theme with the show - and I am loving it! I loved a couple of years ago when Mandisa was such a strong Christian, standing in her faith, despite obvious unspoken pressure.... and how sad after she sang Mary Mary's Praise song was when she was voted off.

If you didn't see last week's result show - Dolly Parton performed a song called "Jesus and Gravity". Don't really care for her performances, but what an awesome song!

I am impressed - I say, lets keep praying for a Godly influence anywhere in Hollywood. And pray that Miley (looking at a least 10 years older than she is) or Terri Hatcher don't overshadow God's spotlight - lets pray that people are moved by giving - which we have to admit, must come from God, because we don't have it on our own in our selfish nature - right?

going to pull up the DVR now :-)

christa jean said...

I haven't kept up as well this season, so missed it last night. But, Joy just happened to turn on the radio this morning (I'm not sure how she figured that out!) and the Fish broadcasted the whole song! I listened with hope that the words went deep into those who sang them. How can you not sing words such as that without feeling awe?

The Kratzers said...

I guess when they followed the song with a taped excerpt from Ben Stiller that used a ton of bleeped profanity, you can know where there heart was truly. If you are just trying to gain the cash of Christians by dangling a song in front of them, the Ben Stiller clip is optional. If you are truly trying to put the hope that Jesus brings on display and give honor to Him, the clip of Ben Stiller clip is never optional, and super offensive.

Besides, shouldn't the whole thing be called "Idol Viewers Give Back" instead of "Idol Gives Back," especially when many who are a part of the show are not giving nearly the percentages of their incomes that many viewers will, if they are even financially contributing at all.

http://chris-kratzer.blogspot.com

Sarah Vertner said...

So I watched the performance tonight.... it did feel a little strange, but maybe I was watching, expecting some insincerity - I don't know! I will say - if that song gains mainstream popularity, even for just being a catchy tune.... wouldn't that be a good thing?! I do think so. iMO

Anonymous said...

Another friend, Jackie, tried to post this info but couldn't get it to work. So I am posting it for her. Please go to this link to see how American Idol supports abortion: http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2008/mar/08031005.html