;; But I Had A Tiara: On Being A Helicopter Mother

Thursday, April 3, 2008

On Being A Helicopter Mother




Parents of millennials have been obsessive about ensuring the safety of their children, Howe said. When the first wave was born in the early 1980s, "Baby on Board" signs began popping up on minivans. They were buckled into child-safety seats, fitted with bike helmets, carpooled to numerous after-school activities and hovered over by what Howe describes as "helicopter parents."—Don O'Briant, "Millennials: The Next Generation," The Atlanta Journal and Constitution, August 11, 2003

I had never heard of this phrase until last Sunday. Our pastor's wife was talking about different parenting styles and this was one she mentioned. Of course I want my kids to be safe. Yes, I even hover at times. I think I zoom around alot too. My head certainly spins around alot. And I can imagine that when I am not in control I may sometimes go into a tailspin. I don't usually crash, but I come precariously close. I am still trying to learn to steer this thing (parenting). I sorta thought I had it down, and I might - in about 5 minute occasional increments.

Some definitions say the helicopter parent doesn't allow their kids to learn from their mistakes. I guess they think of a helicopter as swooping down to rescue every time danger is near. I say, "Hold those feet to the fire"! I don't think they can learn from their mistakes until they admit they make them. I drive some of my children crazy with this one at times.

So I think I'd rather be more like a safety boat escort for someone swimming the English Channel: Somewhere through the fog, available if needed.

No comments: