However I might feel about Shout To The Lord being sung on A.I. this week, I want to think about how I can let everything the Lord allows into my life be stimulus for changes I need to make.
It kind of reminds me of a story I heard once: Some teens really wanted to go and watch a movie. It was rated R, which was against family policy, so they went to talk to their dad about it. They told him their very good Christian friends had seen it and it wasn't that bad. It actually had a good storyline, with just a few bad words in it. The dad wisely told them he'd pray about it and they'd talk the next day. The teens were excited -- "Hey, at least he didn't say no, so he must be considering it!". And the dad prayed. Prayed -- and baked.
The next day, he met with his teens, as promised, to let them know what he had decided. He told them he had prayed about it and made his decision. But, before he told them what he decided, he wanted to share with them a very special batch of brownies he had made just for them."Kids, I love you so much that I used only the finest ingredients. I used the finest European chocolate and fresh eggs from a farm. I used organic flour and butter and fresh milk. Then I added just a teeeny, tiny bit of dog poop. It's not much, just the smallest amount, so I'm sure you'll still love them -- and I baked them just now. They are fresh and nice and hot and gooey. Here, have one, then we'll talk."
I can apply this to events in my life and to what I choose to participate in. I can also apply it to myself. There can be alot of poop mixed in with the good stuff God wants to do in and through me. I don't want people to have to ask themselves (or even take a vote!) if I am using God when it is convenient! Do I live my life wholly for Him? When I see poop in my life, do I go ahead and mix it in with all of the fine chocolate,in hopes that it will not be noticed, or do I keep it separate and ask God to take it away?
That said, I also know God knows me. He still loves me and works through me, even when I am full of poop. I mess up all of the time, yet He is lovingly there to keep cheering me on to be all that He made me to be. And, yes, sometimes He even uses the poop in my life and makes it all good!
Friday, April 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What a great analogy!
Certain poop can be great fertilizer, making things grow healthy... who knew a discussion on poop could be so enlightening! ;-D
I agree about the fertilizer -- but it occcurs to me that the poo has to be spread on a garden bed and not left in the poo pile for it to be effectively used where it is supposed to be. We have a poo pile here at out little "farm". It grows the greenest grass. But we don't want grass there!
I don't want to fertilize or nurture anything that God does not desire in my life! I need to lay all of the poo down at His feet and let Him spread it where He wills...
Post a Comment