;; But I Had A Tiara: Going To The Butcher

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Going To The Butcher


I remember when, as a kid, probably only 6 or so, my dad took me to a butcher on 181st and Powell. They had cow tongues in a line, sort of stacked on each other. You could see the taste buds. It obviously made an impression. I don't remember going to a butcher since then, except one that used to be on Cedar Hills Blvd. and sold European chocolates. I went for the chocolates and didn't look at the meat.

Recently, I purchased half of a cow from a farmer up in Washington. It was a grass fed Limousin cow, raised naturally and humanely. The arrangement is that the farm takes the cow to the butcher and I pick it up there. So I actually had to go to the butcher shop.

I have purchased ground beef from a farm before (and a friend picked it up from the butcher for me), but never any meat that has been put into cuts. It was a new experience for me that I needed to tell the butcher what kind of cuts I wanted. Since I haven't been a big beef eater myself, I am not even that familiar with what cuts are what. It was a learning experience.

Okay, so I am still amazed when I think of my experience at Gartner's Meats. They are in N.E. Portland, so I had to drive in. The parking lot was full when I got there. I thought it was very rude that people in the neighborhood used up all of the butcher parking on a Saturday so customers couldn't find a place to park. It never occurred to me that the cars in the spaces DID belong to the people that were actually IN the butcher shop.

Am I from Timbuktu? Really. I have never heard of such a thing as a CROWDED butcher shop. I am not kidding you. There was barely any standing room. We had to take a number! There were probably 60 people in line before us. NO, I am NOT exaggerating (is this not a suprise to you? Is this common?). We waited close to 30 minutes I'd say, before it was our turn. I found out later that I could have gone to a side door since I was picking up a custom order. But I am glad I didn't. It was fascinating to me to see that many people buying meat and thinking about what they were going to do. A family barbeque? A Sunday dinner at home? All alone in front of the T.V.? Buying it for someone else?

It was also very interesting to see all of the different types of meats and jerkys. Since it was just before St. Patrick's Day, I bought some sliced corned beef. I noticed he piled on alot of meat, so I reminded the guy that I only wanted a pound and a half. He assured me that it was only that much. I couldn't believe it. Apparently most commercial outlets put in a lot of fillers, making the meat heavier. I paid about the same per pound, got more meat with no fillers AND they don't add nitrates. If you are ever near N.E. Portland and want some meat -- or you just want to people watch --take a trip over to Gartner's Meats (www.gartnersmeats.com/). Apparently they have been around for many years -- and I can see why! Oh, and by the way, I didn't see any cow tongue:)

No comments: