;; But I Had A Tiara: When My Heart Is Heavy I Am Held

Friday, November 7, 2008

When My Heart Is Heavy I Am Held

"... and He shall wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there shall no longer be any death; there shall no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain.. Revelation 21:4b

This beautiful painting is available for purchase here.


"This is what it means to be held
How it feels when the sacred is torn from your life
And you survive.
This is what it is to be loved
and to know
that the promise was
that when everything fell

We'd be held
" (see song at end of post)

Isn't being held most comforting when we are crushed and broken?

Have you ever heard something on the news that really almost just haunted you? Something MORE than heartbreaking? Something unimaginable? Something that, although it happened to strangers, leaves you grappling for some shred of peace?

That happened to me today. I heard it this morning.
I remember the last time I struggled deeply with this. I had just had my baby so I am sure I was a little emotional anyway. But it was something that, to this day, I wish I'd never heard and I wish I could forget. I almost cannot bear the thought of it.

Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed at the sadness in this world. I feel so insignificant and useless. Then I am reminded of the words of Jesus in John 16:33 that say "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." There is peace and rest in those words.

Then into my mind comes the words "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28, 29, 30).
Isn't the Bible such beautiful poetry? It soothes and comforts me to remember God's promises. He will shelter us under His wings.

I remember reading once (in the book "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn) that for those who are going to be with Jesus, this earth is the closest thing to Hell we'll ever see. Some days, when I see or hear about heart wrenching things happening to others, I can really see how that is a true perspective. Heaven will be such sweetness and such peace.

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee. The darkness is no darkness with Thee, but the night is as clear as the day. The darkness and the light to Thee are both alike. God is light and with Him is no darkness at all. Oh let my soul live and it shall praise Thee. For Thine is the Kingdom, the power and the glory, for evermore. ~ Samuel Sebastian Wesley (a compilation of Bible verses)

John 14:1 "Let not your heart be troubled:
ye believe in God, believe also in me."

Isaiah 26:3 "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee."

Maybe I WILL sleep tonight...

This (paraphrased) scripture from Revelation 7:9-17 is so beautiful to think about -- and so comforting to know this will really happen.


After this, I saw a large crowd with more people than could be counted.
They were from every race, tribe, nation, and language,
and they stood before the throne and before the Lamb.

They wore white robes and held palm branches in their hands,
as they shouted, "Our God, who sits upon the throne,
has the power to save his people, and so does the Lamb."

The angels who stood around the throne knelt in front of it
with their faces to the ground. Then they all worshiped God and said,
"Amen! Praise, glory, wisdom, thanks, honor, power and strength
belong to our God forever and ever! Amen!"

One of the elders asked me,
"Do you know who these people are that are dressed in white robes?
Do you know where they come from?"
"Sir," I answered, "you must know."

Then he told me.

"
These are the ones who have gone through the great suffering.
They have washed their robes in the blood of the Lamb and have made them white.

And so they stand before the throne of God and worship him in his temple
day and night.
The one who sits on the throne will spread his tent over them.

They will never hunger or thirst again,
and they won't be troubled by the sun or any scorching heat.


The Lamb in the center of the throne will be their shepherd.
He will lead them to streams of life-giving water,
and
God will wipe all tears from their eyes."


Did you see that? GOD HIMSELF will wipe away the tears! He is gonna take care of all of those who have gone through "the great suffering". He's going to spread His tent over them. He's going to make it all okay. They'll be held.

I hope the people in the situation I heard about today can call on Jesus and find peace and rest. I hope they will know what it means to be held.




8 comments:

christa jean said...

Such comforting words to us, full of hope. We do indeed live in the Shadowlands, but a light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not mastered it!

Thank you for not sharing what it was you heard, because I still am haunted by the last one you shared with me!
Peace of Christ to us this night.

HDMac said...

Yes, that happens all too often that something on the news breaks my heart and I ache for those involved... all too much of late, it seems....
Good post.....

Kathi said...

Tiffany, Please do share with me. Sometimes I need to know the deep horrible hurts. I want to pray and I want to care deeply.

Your Scriptures you shared and the insight to with them are so comforting. Thank you.

Kathi

Anonymous said...

Once again you have made my heart burst with the knowledge that the Lord is with us through it all. Please let me know if I can pray for you today. I pray everyday, but if there is something specific, please let me know. I do love the song that you put up. It is amazing. You are wonderful and loved more then you know.

Steffi

Shell in your Pocket said...

What a well written post..it is wondeful! So honest and encouraging!
-sandy toes

A Romantic Porch said...

Tiffany, This posting truly resonates with me. I so completely get what you are saying. Thank you for sharing. xo rachel

The Whalens said...

When I saw the title for this post on my dashboard of blog blips I immediately thought of this song. I absolutely loved it from the time it came out on the radio, and find it so poignant. God has used it to touch me at very specific times...like it came on the radio just as we pulled out to drive to the hospital to have Brennan. It again came on now years later when I was in early labor with Katia. He is holding me.

The Whalens said...
This comment has been removed by the author.