
On Couch: Michelle, Niina, Amanda, Nichole (on floor),Becca, Moi
Behind Couch: Kasey, Karen, Darcy, Laura, Peggy (kneeling) Breanna, Chandelle
Missed: Jessica, Dawn, Adriana
For the past twelve weeks I have been able to sit with this wonderful group of women, once per week, as we discussed A.W. Tozer's book The Pursuit of God. Wow. Each woman had so much insight.
The book is deep and very thought provoking. It's one of those books that changes your mindset about many different things. There is so much freedom in many of God's principles, if we can only grasp their true meanings and apply them to our lives.
Discussing the different perspectives we each brought and pointing out passages that touched us as individuals really opened up the possibilities and gave me so much more to "chew on". I can't imagine that I would have been tenacious enough at this stage of my life to read this book on my own. If I did make it through, I would not have gained nearly as much from it as I did sitting with this group of ladies who, through these weeks of sharing our hearts and baring our souls at times, have become my sister-friends.


There are so many distractions with kids, homeschooling, etc. and the book is so deep and intense that I found it hard to really concentrate at home as I read each chapter, especially at the beginning. Using my highlighter helped alot. But then there were so many memorable passages, at times I would catch myself highlighting whole pages. If I keep it at hand, and begin to implement the things I read and the things I've discovered about myself through reading it, it will be a life changing book. Gather up a group of friends and read this book together!

Incidentally, my friend Emily over at Diary of An Accidental Farm Wife tagged me. I've never been tagged on my blog before. Or if I have been, I didn't know it. This one is fun because it gives you a snapshot into what someone else is reading. Emily's is from a book called Grandpa's Box and is an excerpt about Joseph.
I am supposed to grab the book nearest to me, go to page 56, down to the fifth sentence and then copy the next few sentences. Not surprisingly, The Pursuit of God was one of three books in a stack closest to me. My Bible was one of the other two, and page 56 is the cyclopedic index for the words Appetite to Aratus. The other is Praying God's Will for My Son by Lee Roberts (since I do have five sons!), and page 56 is a page left blank for notes. So Pursuit of God it is...then, at the bottom, I am going to tag some of you!
"The soul has eyes with which to see and ears with which to hear. Feeble they may be from long disuse, but by the life-giving touch of Christ they are now alive and capable of sharpest sight and most sensitive hearing.
As we begin to focus on God, the things of the spirit will take shape before out inner eyes. Obedience to the word of Christ will bring an inward revelation of the Godhead (John 14:21-23). It will give acute perception enabling us to see God even as is promised to the pure in heart. A new God-consciousness will seize upon us and we shall begin to taste and hear and inwardly feel God, who is our life and our all. There will be seen the constant shining of 'the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world' (John 1:9). More and more, as our faculties grow sharper and more sure, God will become to us the great All, and His presence the glory and wonder of our lives."
I only have to tag two people but I can think of many more from whom I'd love to see a book excerpt. So I will tag FOUR. I bet each of these three will tag someone else I wanted to tag.
If any of you happens to also be closest to The Pursuit of God, then open to the very middle of the book, start at the second full paragraph and copy several sentences or where you think there is a natural break. Otherwise, do as I did above and go to page 56, 5th sentence down...
I am tagging Elizabeth at Elizabeth Embracing Life, Dot at Absolutely Fabulous, Niina at The Candid Housewife and Darcy at The Flowering Tree.
4 comments:
I enjoyed the quote from the book. I will have to get it and read it! Being in a study group can be such a blessing! I haven't been in one for quite awhile and really miss it.
What a wonderful opportunity to go through a wonderful book....
... but I have to ask...
is this a auto timer pic?
What a beautiful group of women!
Sounds like a fun thing to be involed in. Can I have that blanket?
Post a Comment