;; But I Had A Tiara: Soup's On! Saturday: Cream of Dill Pickle Soup

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Soup's On! Saturday: Cream of Dill Pickle Soup


Do you see how suh-weet it is? My Fairy Blogmother made a button for me for Soup's On! Saturday! And she made me a little one too, so if you want to include a little bloggy bling in your side bar or in your SOS post, you can go to my sidebar and pick up the code.

While you are at it, you can also pick up the code for my Tiara blog button. Aren't they Uh-Door-ubble? Fairy Blogmother has been busy! Now we're talking TWO tiaras. Okay, so what if one of them is floating in a bowl of soup? If you do pick up a button will you tell me so I can go see how adorable it looks on your pages?

This week's soup is one I searched for for years. Wait, that looks awkward.

It is a recipe for which I had searched for many years. Still awkward.

I wanted this recipe for years and, despite searching high and low, I was unable to attain it. Okay, that's better. Proper without sounding too stuffy.

A few years ago -- okay, it was quite a number of years ago, I had this soup which sounds very unlikely to be as delicious as it really is.

My friend Evelyn was the leader for a pretty big Christian Women's Club in the Northwest. I did not attend her group but, this particular evening she had asked me to be the guest music. The evening I sang we went to a lovely restaurant called The Trianon in SW Portland (I sang Sandy Patti if that gives you an idea of how long ago it was. I think I was about 12, right?). It was a pretty fancy evening, and they had menus printed for the occassion. When I glanced over my menu and saw this printed, I was dubious - to say the least.

Cream of Dill Pickle Soup

But everyone was served the same thing, so my steaming bowl came whether it sounded appealing to me or not, and I decided to taste it. It was delicious!

As I mentioned so eloquently above, I was unable to locate the recipe anywhere. And, since the Trianon closed down, I had not even been able to find a restaurant that served it. Now I can find several recipes, but this lady says her recipe is THE Trianon recipe. Can you believe it?! I was so surprised to finally be able to find this, so many years later.

Are you curious? Are you brave? Do you trust me? I wonder if my friend Sarah at House of Homer will make it for the next girls night?

Cream of Dill Pickle Soup
3 Tablespoons Butter
1/4 cup very finely chopped Onion
1/4 cup White Wine
1 and 1/8 cup Flour (or to desired thickness. Sub thickening agent of your choice, be aware amounts may vary.)
5 cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
1 and 1/2 cups Dill Pickle Juice
2 teaspoons dried Dill Weed (I prefer using fresh to taste)
1/2 cup Heavy Cream, Whipping Cream or Milk (experiment with sour cream or plain yogurt)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Julienned Dill Pickle for garnish

Melt butter in your soup pot, add onion and saute until soft. Add white wine until almost all liquid evaporates. Reduce heat to low and stir in flour (do not brown). Whisk in water and pickle juice. Keep stirring to a boil then add dill weed. Stir in cream or milk, season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish individual bowls with julienned dill pickle.


I will admit I just found this and have not made it yet. But it is tried and true alright. I'd say that yearning for it since the days of singing Sandy Patti to a cassette soundtrack qualifies:) And, as soon as I am off this RX diet, I'll be making it myself. Much to the shock of my family. But I bet they like it...

Have a surprisingly good week (after you link and comment of course),



3 comments:

Sarah Vertner said...

I am SOOOO tempted... I just might have to try it! But what do you serve with it? Cheeseburgers? I can't seem to think of anything else that immediately goes with dill pickles... I'll come up with something, and I'll do it, just for you!

(That means you have to come, and be the last one to leave... except JC, that is really her spot)

Anonymous said...

Here Sarah, here's the link to the lady's menu where she served it. You can just use this menu for your next girls night;)

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Menu/Dinner20.htm

Sarah Vertner said...

Ok, that "Lady" likely does not have a gaggle of kids... that is one impressive menu. I'm exhausted just thinking about it.