;; But I Had A Tiara: Soup's On! Saturday: Chicken Tortilla Soup

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Soup's On! Saturday: Chicken Tortilla Soup

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you find some recipes you will keep in your own recipe box and use for years to come. I know I am adding to my own collection with some really yummy soups.

If you haven't stopped by before, you can read all about Soup's On! Saturday here.


A couple weeks ago I gave you a quickie Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe because, well, I was in a hurry! This week I am giving you my regular recipe for it. It takes a little bit more time than the quick version, but is still a fairly easy meal to make. It uses several canned ingredients, but it sure is the best Tortilla Soup recipe I have found.


We love soups with toppings, so this one is a definite hit. Before we ladle the soup into our bowls, we scrunch some tortilla chips on the bottom of the bowl. Then we ladle the soup in, and top it with avocado, green onion, sour cream, cilantro, maybe just a few more tortilla chips, and cheese. Jack cheese is especially good on top.

My oldest son likes to add jalapeno too. He likes spicy things. He ate a habanero, a really spicy kind of pepper, when he was on a trip to Mexico, on a dare. I think it was one of the spiciest peppers there are.
If your whole family likes spicy food, you could throw in some jalapenos (or habaneros!) too, while cooking.


Chicken Tortilla Soup

3 Cloves Minced Garlic

1 Chopped Onion

3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (I just use what I have and it works fine)

2 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour

3- 14 Ounce Cans Low Sodium Chicken Broth

4 Cups Half and Half

1 10.75 Ounce Can Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup

1 Cup Fresh Salsa

1- 15 Ounce Can Creamed Corn

6 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cooked

2 teaspoons Cumin

1- 27 Ounce Packet Dry Fajita Mix (or make your own fajita seasoning mixture and you can use sea salt and add or leave out things according to your taste)


Saute onion and garlic in butter for 5 minutes. Add flour, stir well, cook 1 minute more. Add broth and Half and Half. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low. Add everything else, cook for 15 minutes more after it boils.

I am looking forward to getting some more of your recipes. I am running out of tried and true soup recipes and will be be trying some new ones myself this week so I will have something to post next week.

Have a comfy, cozy, sitting-by-a-warm-fire-on-a-cool-autumn-day kind of week!


8 comments:

Youthful One said...

Ooh!
I'm first! I hope the linky works.

I'm having a hard time imagining a creamy tortilla soup. I'm so in love with ours, I'm not sure if I'm adventurous enough to try yours!

Anonymous said...

I don't think it is too much of a stretch to imagine a creamy cheese sauce with tortillas, so why not a cream broth for tortilla soup? I think it sounds worth trying, although I will need to see if corn starch will work in place of flour.

Sarah Vertner said...

Sounds good to me, I'll try it!

I've been looking for a butternut squash recipe, anyone have a good Squash soup recipe they want to share? My Dad sent me a Butternut squash from the garden in NY - ain't he sweet?!

Em said...

That tortilla soup was just the sort of thing I was looking for on Friday! I was craving creamy & spicy, and I had chicken on hand. I can't wait to try it.

On the other hand, it's a good thing I didn't have your recipe yet, as I was forced to come up with something to fit the bill. The result is my Spicy Chicken Queso Stew. I just posted it (late, of course)!

Shell in your Pocket said...

That looks yummy! I love soup especially during fall time!
-sandy toes

Milk Mama said...

Mmmmmmm that looks so good, Tiffany!!!

A while back ago, you left a question for me on my blog, asking about the Roloff Farm. My computer had issues shortly after, so I didn't get back to you. But yes, that was the same Roloff Farm that your husband worked for. ;)

Kathi said...

Tiffany, I'm going to get out some of my soup recipes and participate soon. This soup looks so good. I can't wait to try it.

Is today the day for the "Pantry Raid?" I'm ready to go. Thanks for adding to the fun of blogging.

Kathi

Donna @ Way More Homemade said...

That is basically the same tortilla soup recipe that I got from my sister that our family likes. However, I'm working on a "way more homemade" version. Trying to figure out how to not use the canned stuff. Working on it... Will let you know when I have a chance to work on it some more.