;; But I Had A Tiara: What's The Deal?

Sunday, May 18, 2008

What's The Deal?

First of all, let me say I think it is hilarious that my boys WANT to wear plaid shorts. Cracks me up, it really does. The whole preppy look is just so different than the pants-halfway-down- boxers-hanging-out style (my boys never did get into that) and the holes in jeans thing. For this I am grateful, though I kind of like the distressed clothing look.

I looked at shirts for my teens today. Almost every tee shirt had a skull. Some were planted in a garden or surrounded by roses or guitars or other (otherwise) pretty things. Why is it cute and in style to wear skulls? It's a human head with no flesh -- as in a decaying body!

Other selections included a vulture, swords stuck through things and/or around dragons, outlines of naked women and naked women with strategic parts covered by the banner of the manufacturer, surrounded by guns, skulls, swords or dragons. Alot of these were Hurley or Quicksilver. The gray one above is a skull framed in pistols, the blue shirt is a skull framed in roses and the white one is a guitar made of a skull.

I don't mean to sound old or prudish, but doesn't this celebrate a culture of death? The one below is a skull amongst branches of a tree with ravens in it.

I wasn't sure of some of the brands and designs either. My boys heard that Element has ties to witchcraft. I hate to buy into gossip and penalize the company, but I also don't want to support that kind of thing if it is true.

There was a shirt with a picture of Uncle Sam and a bunch of words I didn't get. I hated to buy it if it was sarcastic and bashing America, as seems to be edgy right now.

What are the brands Lost and Ezekiel? And where have I been? I knew skulls were big, but there were literally about 30 different skull pattern shirts and about 3-4 without skulls or other sick things.

I guess Old Navy is the only place to find graphic tees that don't smack of all of this. Of course, I am sure someone has a story about Old Navy too...

What's a family to do?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, great post, Tiff. I have similar feelings and thougts about kids wearing skulls. I mean, it's not exactly celebrating anatomy. It's more of the Gross factor or Scary factor that manufacturers are offering, and what kids are desiring (not all, of course).

I can't help but think there's a message, that says yes, these are skulls, but they're really alive! Look at the pictures you posted ... don't those look as if they are intended to portray talking skull? They do to me. That's freaky. And gross.

But what do I know. I have a 6 year old girl.

Youthful One said...

Make your own line of wholesome, fashionable threads. And then make loads of money selling them to the millions of wholesome, fashionable families out there.

We'll buy them. :D

I've got boys - I ran into the same thing last fall when I was attempting to stock up for my boys. We settled on a John Deere sweatshirt for A because it was the only acceptable design offered.

We appreciate Old Navy for their "plain" yet fashionable, and reasonable options. (We just have to be cautious for their girls items - they aren't always modest.) We also usually find a fair selection at JCPenney's.

Danielle Renee said...

I with you in the skull fashion these days.I don't get it and it doesn't float my boat at all. I agree with JP in believing theres a message. Maybe it is nothing more than "DEATH". Don't know though. But I do know that inside of me gets a little creeped out whenever I see "mr. skull head" I like to think its my spirit man being turned off.

Knauss House said...

I hear you! I don't like the death and doom attitude that is presented as "normal", it just reinforces the despair that Darwinism breeds - if there is no purpose in my life, why actually LIVE it?

I am glad my kids look for their "own" style be it tigers (Caleb), wolves (Daniel), or pretty and fun (Jenae and Natalie)

Sarah Vertner said...

yea!! that is weird! I mean Noah's into the pirate thing, but there's even a limit there.

I have found the need to be VERY selective with the clothes we purchase. I remember a year ago Christmas (06) and being totally fed up with the selection of tees at Old Navy... the little boy shirts all had some slogan that glorified spoiled, bratty, disrespectful, bully-ish and lazy behaviors. The little girl shirts weren't much better - I even remember seeing one that was in infant sizes that said something like "my mom is too hot for you"... oh my BP rises just thinking about it... all that is implied in that! I'm with JC - lets get our own line and market those.

My sis in law had a shirt she'd made herself that said "My Kids Rock" in gem stones....

I'd buy that!

christa jean said...

I just bought a t-shirt for my honey that says:
"I MAKE GOOD BABIES"
I've had my eye on it for a while now at Urban Outfitters in Bridgeport Village.

I had to laugh at some of the other t-shirts there like "Hot for Hillary" and "Barack 'N' Roll". I also saw one with the picture of Jesus on the front that said "I'll Be Back". Now there are some REALLY crass shirts there too, but a few gems. If you look at their site, you'll see all sorts of raunchy slogans, but then you'll find one that says "Me for President, '08" and then it's funny.
Anywhoo, this is NOT me advertising for or supporting Urban Outfitters!!! ;-D

Kathi said...

Hi Tiffany, Thanks for visiting me. I totally agree with you. I don't like the skulls. Think they are intended to shock and frighten.

Have a great Tuesday, Kathi