;; But I Had A Tiara: Of Basketball Cards and Vanilla Perfume

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Of Basketball Cards and Vanilla Perfume

My two older boys are really young men now. These are strange times for this mom. In my heart they are still my children, yet they are more than just toying around with the idea of manhood, they are at it's threshold.

Driving with Anthony next to me, he opened a magazine and commented that he loves the smell. It reminds him of basketball cards. "It brings back memories", he said. He went on in some detail, especially for a 16 year old boy, of the days when we'd go to swimming lessons and I'd stop "for special" on the way home and buy them basketball cards. Through his words I was again standing there as they took turns opening their packets to see who they got and if there were any special cards. I can see the look of anticipation on their faces and even the sudden burst of excitement at a rookie card or another card they were hoping for. Those were the days.

There is something reassuring about knowing that a smell brings back pleasant memories he associates with me, with moments I provided him.

He remembers.

Isn't it amazing how we can smell something and it triggers a memory in us that we didn't know we had? It can be a great association or a bad one. If it is a pleasant memory though, chances are it is a smell we love.

This week I noticed that my 18 year old wrote in a profile about himself that his favorite perfume scent is vanilla.

I wear vanilla perfume.

I don't know anyone else who does.

It makes me wish those days of holding him close were not past. It makes me think he's always known I treasure him.

He remembers.

Go ahead my precious young men, keep growing, as you must. Grow in stature and in faith. Grow into the life God has for you. I must release you to that, I am not given a choice. I must release you to go -- and to grow away from me. I'll wait and I'll be here whenever you make an appearance...

May you take with you and hold in your hearts those love-filled days of basketball cards and vanilla perfume.

Are there any scents that take you back to a certain time or place in your life? Is it a good association?

9 comments:

Youthful One said...

As the tears are full in my eyes, I want to cry out like a child, "Don't say that!"

I'm not ready to let mine go.

I know, I have a few more years, but those will become a vapor all too soon, and mine too will then be at manhood's door. Oh! That I have the grace to release them as you have yours.

Sarah Vertner said...

Oil of Olay reminds me of my Grandma Julie - special lady... It isn't as perfumey of a smell as the lotion used to be, but just enough to remind me.

Anonymous said...

I love this post.

Genny said...

The smell of lavendar always reminds me of my mom. I loved your post!

Genny said...

Just had to say that your mice / dorm story had me literally cracking up. Thanks!

Rachel Anne said...

(sniff!) It's a bittersweet time when your kids grow up....

Favorite smells....fresh cut grass, esp. the first mowing of spring, coffee, rhubarb pie, Old Spice.

Good Stuff! Thanks for the good memories!

KEI said...

I really love this blog! I will hold precious these days when my babies are still my babies and hope and pray I can have the right attitude when that day comes to let them go! How beautiful your words! Chantilly will always be my Gramma's smell and precious will always be the memories it envokes! Thank you for sharing yourself with us!

Liz & Brian said...

I love this post too. Oh what a sweet boy. Every mother dreams of words like those, eh?

The smell of rubbing alcohol reminds me of getting my ears pierced (I felt really BIG).
The smell of hospital soap reminds me of when my babies were in ICU (this evokes a feeling of terror followed quickly by the very presence of the Holy Spirit reminding me how he walked with me through it). Anyhoo... yes, I loved this post.

Youthful One said...

Bactine.
There was a short season in my childhood when my father chose to use Bactine as an aftershave. It happened to be when I was still "Daddy's little girl". I love the smell of Bactine.