Today he woke up with a weird skin something. I don't know if it is a rash. It is more under the skin. Kind of marbley. Looks like what I'd think of Fifth's Disease. But the doc's office says no because the soles of his feet and the palms of his hands are not bright red. And, because of the rash he has had since he was about 5 months old, it is hard to tell. That's another thing. Plus he is sometimes puffy. And crankier than my other babies. The doctor isn't worried, but sometimes I wonder.
Ethan's back today. Anyone recognize this rash?I am spoiled. I came to the realization this winter. My oldest, Andrew, who was 17 then, got sick. One late night he was feverish and sweaty and really of out of it. I was really, really scared. Me, mother of six, experienced mom, knower of fevers and sicknesses and rashes and symptoms and home cures and such. I was pretty sure he was sick unto death. I applied cool cloths and kept watching to see if there was anything at all I could see that could warrant a trip to the ER. But then I didn't want him in ER either if his immune system was already whacked. He just laid there and sweated. I don't think he even knew I was there.
I did the whole self talk thing. It was just the flu. Lots of people get it. But not MY kids. It must be something else. I thought of all God has put on his heart to do with his life and how it had not yet been fulfilled. But then I thought of the saying about the good dying young. Yep, I walked down that road in my mind. Weak of me, but I did it.That was a long wet night. His sickly sweat, my nervous sweat and frightened tears. (Okay Mrs. Common Sense Mom. I see you rolling your eyes. It COULD happen to you ya know. I thought I was cool as a cuke about sick kids until then.)
The next day he was much better. And I was too relieved to feel foolish. But I did realize that lots of moms see their kids like that often. Just not me. Like I said, I am spoiled.
My sister-in-law, who by the way is probably the strongest lady I know, has watched four of her five kids live with a rare disease. She has lost several babies, one at full term. She has the same rare disease as her kids and also has Bell's Palsy and once went through an episode of having multiple little strokes. In her 40's. She lives her life all of the time the way I felt that one night.
These feelings always take me back to the time I really took to heart that all of our days are planned out already. It was after we lost our baby boy. My three boys at that time just looked so temporary to me and I was afraid of them. They seemed too delicate. The only way I could find any peace, or to sleep or laugh again, was to really understand the sovereignty of God. But apparently it's not a one-time realization.
As a mom, I need to revisit that scripture in my mind several times per day. Otherwise, the joy of being a mom just turns into fear at every moment.
What do you do to bring your thoughts captive when you are afraid for your kids?
9 comments:
Hi Tiffany. Once again you put into words what most of us feel at these times. David, having asthma, has taken us through many moments that you had with Andrew. I just hold onto the Lord during those times. Not always real good at it, but certainly try. Having a wonderful husband during that time helps as well. Thank you again for opening up about something that the rest of us struggle with. Maybe we just need to make sure we let others know about those moments so that they can pray for us as well.
I'm sorry Ethan's not well. :( Whenever I'm afraid for Grace (but there haven't been too many times - she's only five), I tell myself that God loves her more than I do, so the worst case scenario (I'm a worst case scenario kind of girl)would be that I would see her again in heaven. Morbid a little? But it calms me down.
Nice to meet you, Tiff! Thanks for saying hi at my site.
So, are you telling me that this feeling is not going to go away once I actually hold a healthy baby in my arms?! Great! I was afraid of that. :)
I try not to focus too much on fear, but I know what you mean. I have fear at times too..You know - you heard my voice on the phone on Wednesday - I was very fearful, stuck in an immobile car in the middle of a busy road!
I've been down that road, done that self talk, when the kids are sick. I go back to a minister I met when I was 13, he told a story of holding his 3-year old son in his arms all night while his body raged with fever. In the morning his son was gone. He talked about how he didn't blame God or ask "why me, why him" but he praised God for the gift of 3 years of blessing with that incredible child. That story stuck with me and gave quite a bit of perspective and solace for me when my mom died.
So when I do find my mind wandering down that fearful road, I turn to praising God for who we have had and the time we have had. I find myself delighting in the memories of these gifts that are my children.
I hope Ethie is better soon. Maybe the rash is just a sign of the virus working its way out.???
I wish I had an answer to Ethan's rash. I trust your 'Mommy Sense' despite what the doctors say, I just wish I had a direction to point you in. I'm sorry he's not feeling well.
I'm with Brenna and Sarah - it's rare that I run into times I'm scared for my kids, but when I do, I pray out loud giving thanks to God for that child and declaring His love for them is greater than my own, His ways beyond our understanding. I don't find it especially morbid, just a faith-trust, even if only in declaration.
I think Amy will live forever because God knows I couldn't handle her death. Or at least I will die first.
A-hem.
Yeah.
Not that this post is about death, per se.
I've felt that way too. It can be scary! Glad things are better. And I'm glad I happened upon your blog (through Rocks in My Dryer).
I should have read your post before I blogged today. I need to remind myself of that verse again.
Post a Comment