;; But I Had A Tiara: Fab Summer Blackened Chicken Salad

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Fab Summer Blackened Chicken Salad


Meal Plan Monday is happening over at Organizing Junkie. It's fun to see what others feed their families. And it sure helps keep a person accountable when you know others could be reading your menu. Check it out!

My entire dinner menu plan is at the bottom, after the recipe.

Since some of my friends and I have been chatting about summer meals (here and here), I thought I would post an actual recipe instead of just the link.

Mostly it reminded me of my friend's blog so had to post it, even if just for her. She is wanting more recipes anyway and it is called "Fab" just like her AbFab blog.

I will be making this for dinner for my AbFab family on Wednesday night. But I will substitute dried sundried tomatoes (that I will reconstitute in warm water for 10 minutes) for the ones packed in oil that they call for. And I will be blending them in with the dressing rather than sprinkled on the salad. It makes the taste of those expensive sundried tomatoes go further.

I hope it is sunny again by then...

Fab Summer Blackened Chicken Salad

You'll need:
* 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
* 2 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
* 1 1/2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
* 2 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
* 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
* salt and black pepper to taste
* 2 cups mixed salad greens
* 1 cup arugula
* 1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and diced
* 12 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and sliced
* 1/2 cup sliced black olives

DIRECTIONS

1. Warm 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season both sides of chicken with Cajun seasoning, and place in hot oil. Stir in crushed garlic. Cook chicken 5 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear. Remove chicken from skillet, drain on paper towels, cool slightly, and dice; discard oil and garlic.
2. In a small bowl, mix remaining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper.
3. In a large bowl, gently toss the dressing with the mixed salad greens, arugula, avocado, sun-dried tomatoes, and olives. Top with diced chicken to serve.

My dinner menu for the rest of the week:

Monday: Birthday Breakfast: Anthony's request Baked Oatmeal and Bacon
Dinner: BBQ Burgers (it's fun to put unexpected things on the fixin's plate like basil, blue cheese, ham or fried eggs), Doritos, Grilled Asparagus, watermelon, homemade Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream

Tuesday: Out to dinner for Anthony's bday dinner (he is going to a BBQ for Sen. Smith Monday on his actual bday). Also making Peanut Butter Pie to drop off as a surprise for my little brother Josh's birthday.

Wednesday: Fab Summer Blackened Chicken X3

Thursday: Sausage Skillet Supper X3 for my family, except I use brown rice and cook it before I add it to the skillet. Serve with baby carrots. Quick meal as we have "House Church" tonight.

Friday: Bourbon Chicken
Napa Cabbage Salad

Saturday: Leftovers

Sunday: Chalupa
Serve with tortillas, avocado, sour cream, tomato, cilantro, green onions, cheese, etc.
One of our favorite meals
(our family version is slightly different than this one, but close). Crockpot meal to have for Sunday dinner so it is ready after church with little to no effort.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks for the recipe links, that salad sounds amazing!!

Sarah Vertner said...

Definately need to check out that menu planning site... like that idea!

I also want to know what baked Oatmeal is!?

Yum yum, I'm going to try your recipe, but have to remember those ingredients next time I'm at the store... Cajun spice and arugala aren't usually in my fridge.

Anonymous said...

Blessed,

I will post the recipe for Baked Oatmeal soon.

I won't use arugala in the salad,I will use the organic salad mix from Costco. It does have some arugala mixed in.

Anonymous said...

MMmmm!!!! Thanks, Tiff! :)

I need to get a meal plan for the week. It's so wise.

Happy Birthday Anthony.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I buy Cajun Spice at Winco in the bulk section...