Sometimes an airline has done something wrong. We all know they overbook flights. And they have lost a lotttt of luggage! Yes, these things do happen. But usually the problems, on this show at least, seemed to arise out of the traveler's own mistake or neglect.
One such man, with 10 minutes before the plane was to leave, thought he had time to go smoke a cigarette. But when he came back his flight had departed. His 12 year old son was scheduled for surgery the next day and there were no more flights out that night. His parting words to the airline personnel were "Thanks alot, hopefully my son doesn't die from anesthesia".
Maybe he felt guilty that his addiction was more important than getting home to his child.
Another man had been sitting at the gate and became deeply engrossed in the paper he was reading. Somehow he missed every warning and boarding call -- and then missed the flight all together. Personally, I wonder if he also went to smoke or get a "beverage". He tried to argue that the announcements were not loud enough -- even though no one else had been left behind. He said, "Don't you think it is pretty fundamental that people need to actually be able to hear when they are supposed to board?".
Maybe he felt stupid that he had missed his flight for no good reason. Or was afraid he would have to pay for another ticket so wanted to make it someone else's fault.
Not long ago, I politely, even sort of lightheartedly so as not to make him uncomfortable, asked a young man if a series of necessary meetings relating to my kids had yet been scheduled. He was in charge and I had reminded him several times already but the time was getting short and still no word of any plans. He had already failed to come through on a series of things he had said he would do - so this was just one in a long list. And he always seemed to have an excuse that got him off the hook and implicated someone else.
This particular time he shrugged and said "my bad" in a dismissive "oh well" sort of a way.
Admitting (sort of) but not making it right.
I have heard alot of sympathy recently for people whose homes are being foreclosed on due to the fact that their payments are too high. And I hear blame being given to the lenders that gave the loans. The consumers are trying to blame the lenders who gave them the loans for the fact that they cannot make their payments. Yet they, too, deserve blame for the situation they find themselves in. My husband and I have always been approved for way more than we can afford when buying a house. It is a simple matter of figuring out a little math. The corporation is now suffering because of their lack of discretion and so is the consumer -- both self inflicted!
This is such a prevalent thing in our society. It almost seems as if it is not only accepted, but we make excuses for each other so no one has to be "to blame"!
Several years ago I was at a retreat. The person leading the lesson talked for awhile, then we were to pair up with a predetermined buddy and go over a list of items of possible things we were doing (or not doing) in our lives that could harm us, and we were to rate ourselves, then discuss it with our buddy.
There was something on there about honesty. Something about the way it was worded made me realize that there were some things I did that were not totally honest. Things I didn't mean to lie about but that were not full of Grace and Truth. For example, I am running maybe 10 minutes late to a meeting somewhere. Then I come to some road work and have to wait 2 minutes. I arrive at my destination and say how sorry I am for being (15 minutes) late, but explain in a dismissive way about the road work. Of course I never shared that the road work only delayed me by 2 minutes!
Someone else to blame for my own shortcomings. No I am not free of guilt in this myself. Yet I do not EVER want to allow it to take root in me.
I certainly do not want to raise children who do not accept responsibility for their actions. Better a stone to be tied around my neck and be thrown into the sea than to teach this to - or accept this from - my children.
Thanks God for the reminder. Sometimes I don't even see it myself! Please reveal to me when I am not accepting responsibilty for my own actions.
Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
9 comments:
Very well said. I agree 100%. Personal responsibility or lack thereof if a huge problem in our society today. Just think what the world would be like if we all took responsibility in our own actions.
So well thought out and said! So true...we are a society of No Blame to Ourselved...fingers are pointed everywhere and then expect others to get them out of the mess!
But, we are all guilty of this even things in the "home"! right?
Great reminder!
-sandy toe
Very interesting. I had a similar experience yesterday I think. I get a Vanilla Latte from a coffee shop and the owner knows how to make THE PERFECT drink...there was someone else working yesterday and my wonderful vanilla latte didn't turn out so wonderful. And I wanted my hubby to take me back so I could ask the guy to remake it. But my hubby said, "dear maybe the coffee is made the way its suppose to be, you just don't like it...you shouldn't get a "free" coffee b/c you don't like it." Agh....ouch! They are sooo good about remaking your drink if you don't like it. This visit I had ordered a 20oz instead of 16, so therefore more espresso and I just didn't like it. So its similar...I realized I didn't feel good about going back and having him remake a coffee that he probably did make correctly...and cost this small little coffee shop money. Lesson learned...keep buying the 16 oz! lol.
Well, I guess that didn't have much to do with personal responsiblity. Oh well. ;)
Bravo! Bravo!
I try to teach this to my children but as you said - I sometime find myself guilty as well.
I will try with all my heart to do better - for my children.
There was another post about the same thing - just today.
I work for a school district and I see that our public schools teach this to our children - we (as a society) make excuses for them and prevent them from making mistakes instead of teaching them NOT TO DO IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.
check out Carmi (very nice man)
and what he says about blame.
http://writteninc.blogspot.com/2009/01/canada-our-home-and-blame-it-on-someone.html
I think it's time someone stands up and says NO MORE - McDonalds was NOT as fault for serving hot coffee.
Our very own government pushes this on us...Check out http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/11/AR2009011101959.html
Wow, did this ever hit home for me! I too am guilty of the lack of personal responsibility! I agree with you about the whole mortgage thing, too, and feel that because of how widespread it has become that people feel it must have been someone elses fault, not that they got in over their heads! Very eye opening, thank you for sharing!
You are so right. Honestly is seriously under-rated in our world and yet the majority of our problems stem from a lack of this very basic value. I was also watching a reality show the other night and thinking about this. However, I was watching High Stakes Poker and thinking about how the casual lying that comes with gambling has bled into our society. The housing issue is one of the clearest illustrations I have seen.
Those who have mortgages that they can't afford should admit that they gambled and lost. However this is just one point of an honesty problem that radiates through every issue involved with the current housing crisis. The builders were gambling that the loose credit climate would continue so they overbuilt, the banks were gambling that people who were over-extended could sell and get out of their bad mortgages, the mortgage brokers knew that the adjustable rate mortgages could be a dangerous gamble but they marketed them aggressively, the realtors knew that their clients really couldn't afford the houses they were showing them but wanted commissions, the buyers wanted a home and were told by the realtors, mortgage brokers, banks and even the federal government that one of the best things they could do financially is buy a home.
When the housing market crashed the builders, bankers, brokers, and realtors all said "Why didn't the buyer realize they couldn't afford this house?" And if they were all honest they would have to admit that they glossed over the issues, they made awful loans look good because if the buyers had any idea how shaky their futures were they would keep renting and save their money.
I always hear my Grandmother saying "Oh what a tangled web we weave..." when things get so complicated that it becomes almost impossible to tell who is at fault.
I have found in the past five years that even in friendships there is this new kind of norm that has me baffled. Lack of accountability for one's actions. Almost giving the heart of Christ and how we are called to live a complete watering down. It's now okay to allow disclaimers for the Word of God. "well you see it's like this I grew up with parents who lied,so how could I be to blame"...okay enough said. I did not eat the last of the cookies. Nope not me...it was the the....
Great words Tiffany. Lack of personal responsibility seems to be more prevalent these days. Kathi
Post a Comment