;; But I Had A Tiara: Of Snow and Time

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Of Snow and Time

 

Summer had ended, despite my protests, and Christmas was coming.
That was yesterday, right?

Today it is almost two weeks post Christmas.

In that time we have said goodbye to one friend, my eloquent,wise, once-in-a-lifetime teacher of 101 and a half.

willa-99

Willa's 99th Birthday Celebration

 We rejoiced with friends who had twins after years of praying for a child.

gabriel and selah

 Cycles and seasons.

The snow came. And came. And came. It melted. Well, mostly. Then it snowed again. Even in the middle of the night the view from my window was bright with the reflection of stars and moon on the pure, powdery white blanket.

snow-08-icicles

In the daytime, all of the debris, usually blowing in the wind or dirty and trapped in a gutter or ditch, is invisible. Grass left alone too long or fields muddied by horses hooves -- all fresh, clean and beautiful.

snow-08-trees-2

Even the dirtiest parts of town become white and clean. Large toys and playhouses, abandoned when the rains came, are now nature's sculptures. Once loved cars, hastily pushed aside for newer ones, look glorious once again in their white slipcovers. All is amazingly pure, clean, hushed and untouched.

 

snow-08-suburban

My Car

Today I awoke to a mostly gray world again, looking down on a "kingdom" of fog.

 

Isn't it something how much less vibrant the world looks, how much dirtier, after a blanket of snow has fallen and melted away?

Yet the promise of Spring, it remains.

 

snow-12-08-rose-2PN

7 comments:

Youthful One said...

Very beautiful.
Words
and
photos.

Is the yellow rose from your yard?
I took a VERY similar photo of a red rose in our yard, back when I had to crunch and trudge through a layer of ice and snow to get to it.

I'm tempted to write more ~ muchly inspired by this post ~ and realize I ought to save it for a post of my own.

Janelle said...

Beautiful post! We are all gray here in Ohio. I grew up in Idaho where winter means snow on pine trees. These pics looked like home!Isn't God THE Master Artist!

elizabeth embracing life said...

I thought the drive, which is typically run down homes, or unkept yard was so beautiful. It was like a lived in a whole new place. Then Elliot and I went for a drive late one night for coffee and all was so dark. The snow even made late nights brighter. Beautiful post.

Anonymous said...

I love this postivie, encouraging, beautiful post.

Yule {b}Log said...

This is quite possibly my favorite post of yours.

Gina said...

Tiffany, that was a beautiful post. I'm missing the snow this week too.

KEI said...

I love the pictures and the thoughts to go with them! Beautiful! I'm jealous of your snow, so much fun and gorgeous to look at! Hope you and yours have a blessed 2009!