;; But I Had A Tiara: Soup's On! Saturday: The Best Bean and Ham Soup

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Soup's On! Saturday: The Best Bean and Ham Soup


I can't believe I have been missing SOS. It sure hasn't prevented me from actually making soup. Just from writing about it. Over Christmas Break that is pretty much all we ate. We had Cheesy Ham and Rice Soup, White Chili, Taco Soup and more. Each time I made a big pot of it so we would have something quick to heat up for the next meal.

As I mentioned before, we had *S*N*O*W*. Lots of snow. We had no way to get out of our driveway so we stayed home, warm and cozy, for almost two weeks, with a couple slow but beautiful trips to the store in between storms.

So soup was perfect. And I got to try some new soups too.

If you post a soup recipe this week, I'd love to see any new recipes. I am especially looking for soups with no dairy or grains if you have them.

We wanted a pretty laid back New Year's Day. But, since we didn't do our annual NYE Sushi Party, we wanted to do something. So our sons just invited some of their friends and we just had a few of ours over.

What is the perfect thing to serve to a group that doesn't have to be done at the last minute, that allows me to relax? You guessed it. I also wanted to use up my ham bone so searched specifically for a recipe using that. Certain types of beans are supposed to bring good luck so, though I don't believe in actual "luck", I thought it was fun for New Years to have black eyed peas included in the soup.



Huh? Oh. Sorry. I meant these.
I bought mine in a 13 bean mix from Bob's Red Mill. The recipe for The Best Bean and Ham Soup
called for a 15 bean mix but 13 is what I had and it worked just fine. I didn't miss those extra two kinds of beans at all. As usual, I amended the recipe to suit what I had and our tastes. Work with it Baby. Make it your own.

As it turns out, everyone really liked the soup. Except me. I omitted the salt and it was still a little too much on the salty side for me. And I yearned for that slight smoky taste I remember from when my grandma would open up a can of Bean with Bacon. So next time I will probably add some smoke flavor. And maybe toss in some bacon along with the ham.

Have a cozy back to school week. Remember to take some moments to yourself and don't get the After Christmas Blues.

4 comments:

Shell in your Pocket said...

How funny!!! sounds yummy and warm!
-sandy toes

Anonymous said...

And how about the "rolls" to go with that yummy soup!
hahhahahha I crack myself up.

It was delicious and I don't think it was too salty at all. Honestly.

SweetAnnee said...

Oh ..we did ham and beans as a kid
and I still love it

with a lil ketchup
for spice

teehee

deena

Kathi said...

Hi Tiffany. Soup is such a perfect food. I need to get out my pot and make some. I'm glad you stayed safe and warm during all the storms. I took some time off blogging and it was refreshing for me. Have a wonderful week. Kathi