
In the city where I was born, there is a sex and lies scandal about the mayor, which broke this week.
Senator Larry Craig was arrested based on charges of a sexual nature.
President Bill Clinton was embattled much of his presidency with his own sex scandals.
Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska was at the center of a corruption trial.
Governor Rob Blagojavich of Illinois is embroiled in a corruption scandal as well.
Even without publicized scandals, many of our politicians, whether local or national, endorse ideals we do not agree with. In this country we are free to voice our dissent and we must do so in the proper forums.
All of this begs the question: How do we teach our children to respect those in authority even when we feel they are going against our own ideals? Is it respectful to protest or to voice our dissent?
I am going to be posting more about this in the coming week or two. Please share with me if you have thoughts on this.
7 comments:
I think healthy role models EXCLUDE politicians. They have proven time and time again that they are undeserving of our respect - or many of them have.
I try to keep my girlys away from politics.
I'm glad you are creating the forum for this discussion.
I'd rather look for the learning opportunity in the ills of the world, I am hoping that it will better prepare my children to have a greater eternal impact.
My kids and I were just reading the tower of babble story the other day. The children's Bible that we were reading from took some creative liberties,and expanded on the story. In this telling the men of the city bragged on their greatness and ability to build all the way up to the stars, and one even said, "if there is another flood, we could get high enough that we wouldn't be affected by the waters, and we would be saved." God humbles the proud.
People always want to be led by other people, instead of turning and being led by the Lord. The Israelites cried out for a king, God gave them Saul, who became corrupted by the power. Even as much as God favored David, he was a failed and flawed man.
We are fortunate to live in a nation with the freedoms that we have. We would not have those freedoms if men didn't step into these positions of leadership and take a stand. We need to pray for those men and women in the roles of leadership, fighting for our freedoms and protection, as they are likely to be humbled.
No one is perfect, all fall short. Politicians just seem to fall short in front of the public eye - ouch.
I can't wait to hear more of what others have to say.
Because of various issues I spent the other day feeling like we live in a sick world, and I want out! Ever feel that way? I want to live in God's world, not poeple's world. So I decided that's what we have to do! Even Ghandi said, "Be the change you wish to see!" (Like your previous post "Don't blame me")
Rather than ramble here, I've posted my thoughts on my own blog. Your'e welcome to visit and comment.
People really do need Jesus!
Just last night we reminded our children that the scriptures tell us to pray for those in authority over us. Life is hard! God is good. xo rachel
Yes, we need to speak out or one day we won't Have the CHOICE to do it!
We should not run away from politics but hold those responsible and NOT believe the mainstream media and their propganda...
okay..don't get this momma started!
-sandy toe
Interesting, even within the church there have been simular scandals in which my children have had to watch. We are called to submit to the laws of the land, even when governed by less than ideal peoples.
We can teach our children through very healthy and open dialogues what the Bible teaches. I think it's really important that our children on ever level of humanity know that people will let us down. No matter what. I will and have let my children down with less than favorable behaviors, so where do I stand in the judgements handed out. Only that it pushes our hearts to great seek after the kingdom of God. Know and teach what the Bible says. Knowing that there are no disclaimers for behaviors due to leadership positions.
If our children get it, they too will adopt the sadness in their hearts over the decisions, apart from God, that are made, but will embrace the hope that He gives us.
I think it's okay to be respectful, but also it's okay to be vocal too. We sure are at this house.
It is of course disappointing when politicians who represent their states and our country make mistakes of this nature. If I were to stand back from this though I have to say that I don't elect officials because of their bedroom behaivor, I elect them to do a job which is run our country, however this is embarrasing because they represent us to some degree so I understand your point. What we have to decide is if we are doomed to our personal mistakes or if we decide that every leader is human and is going to make mistakes and fail at times. Let's look at our last president, he was a cocaine addict at one point in his life, and the current presidential nominee John McCain whom cheated on his wife after she endured a terrible accident and was crippled from it. So personally I tell my kids I am voting for a man to run the country, not to run my moral compass, that is for each of us to work on everyday and try to model for our children but let's face it we are all human and we all screw up, that is if we are honost with ourselves. Good post!
Post a Comment