;; But I Had A Tiara: Soup's On Saturday...Soup In a Jar

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Soup's On Saturday...Soup In a Jar


I really did mean to post every single Saturday. At least.

Life happens. And then I can blog about it. Sometimes.

I love blogging. So I hope I get back into my groove.

Anyway, about soup ...

The soup this week is one you can make ahead and keep in your pantry until you are ready for it. I like making it for gifts for my siblings at Christmas. It is good for me to have on hand, all made up, especially during basketball season, as it is a quick thing to throw together. This recipe makes a huge batch too.

Soup In A Jar! (Sorry no pic. New computer so none loaded on here yet!)

There are some really good recipes out there for this. And you can use different sized jars and decorate them if you'd like, or just put a square of fabric on the flat lid then screw the ring on.

This recipe is my favorite. Sometimes I add chicken cooked in wine, and have even thrown in some bacon. And I like the look of a plain old canning jar so I mostly leave them plain, or just tie a piece of raffia around it with the instruction tag.

Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup... In A Jar

3/4 Cup Country Gravy Mix
2 Tablespoons Chicken Boullion or Broth Granules
1 and 1/2 Tablespoons Dried Minced Onion
1 Tablespoon Dried Celery Flakes
1 Tablespoon Dried Parsley
1/2 Wild Rice
3/4 Cup Long Grain White Rice
1/2 Cup Wild Rice
3/4 Cup Long Grain White Rice
Add:
1 Can Mushrooms or 2 Cups sauteed Fresh Mushrooms
14 Cups Water
Bring to boil, cover and let simmer 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Check and stir occasionally.

3 comments:

Knauss House said...

Looks yummy! I will have to try it, but not when kids are eating as I can guarantee that "yummy" is not what they would say since they are against mushrooms!

Kathi said...

Your soups are always so delicious. I'll have to try this one. Thanks. Kathi

Anonymous said...

Sound like a great recipe - thanks!