;; But I Had A Tiara: Menu Plan Monday Week of September 22-28, 2008

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Menu Plan Monday Week of September 22-28, 2008

Organizing Junkie hosts Menu Plan Monday each week. This week she has asked for at least one tried and true recipe to be included in each meal plan. You will see a picture and recipe below for a recipe my family recently tried and loved. Got to her site to see links to lots more plans and recipes.


With the fall weather having begun in my part of the country, I am trying to "think cozy". The pages in the calendar can flip all they want, time can pass, occasions come and go, but isn't it largely the weather that influences our measure of time and even our moods? I always find it fascinating that each year the weather can become cooler for days - or even weeks, but the first time we get a good, soaking rain, I get all kinds of calls and emails asking to order candles!

Well, we haven't had a soaking rain yet, but it is getting colder, especially at night, and I felt like creating a cozy and "fall-ish" menu for this week. If you haven't seen it yet, I have also started a new weekly blog carnival "Soup's On" Saturdays. Soup is definitely cozy and fallish. Come back each Saturday to find new soup recipes -- or post your own! Have a cozy and Fallish week!


Monday:
Spicy Chile Casserole
Fruit with yogurt for dessert

Tuesday:
Caramel Apple and Gorgonzola Pork Chops (didn't make pork chops last week after all)
~ Will post recipe next week if it turns out
Red potatoes and green beans from our CSA cooked in crockpot with 4 tablespoons butter, 4 chicken stock cubes from freezer and organic ranch dressing mix

Wednesday:
Sausages - A local family makes and sells special varieties. We will be having my favorite, Nut and Berry, as well as Beer Sausage. They also have wonderful bacon, chorizo, chicken and cheese, old fashioned frankfurters and more. Delicious!
Homemade Sauerkraut recipe from Nourishing Traditions Cookbook
Vegetable Rice Medley
- I will use brown rice and cook it all in the rice cooker
Note: when putting food away for the winter, I cut up the squash, zucchini and dill and froze them in bags for this dish so each time I make it, it will be very easy!

Thursday:
Cheesy Zucchini Basil Casserole
(See below for pictures and recipe)

Friday:
Em's Spicy Veggie Beef Soup
Cornbread

Saturday:
Buffet of Leftovers:) OR try another new zucchini recipe

Sunday:
Cheesy Ham and Rice Soup
(adapt for slow cooker)
Biscuits

As I mentioned last week, I tried a new recipe using some of the fresh produce of which I had an abundance. It was definitely a winner. My 13 year old had thirds - "even though it is pretty much a pot of vegetables", as he said. Yes, it is good AND good for you. I was so excited this turned out so well. I looovve veggies!

As I said last week,this dish is my kind of food -- lots of veggies -- then throw in some cheeses and some protein along with some whole grains and I am a happy mom with happy tastebuds and a happy family.

I adapted this recipe from another one by tweaking it with ingredients and amounts that work for my family.

Cheesy Zucchini Basil Casserole

~ 3 pieces whole wheat bread. Rip into pieces that you can fit around the bottom and sides of a glass pie plate. I tore each piece into quarters. I used a quarter or two to grease the pan with olive oil. Then fit bread to mostly cover pan.


~ Saute 3 medium zucchini (or 4 cups) in real butter (I used homemade this time)

~ After the zucchini is mostly softened, add 5 roma tomatoes (or what you have on hand) AND at least a half cup fresh basil. I did more because I LOVE fresh basil. Stir in 3 Tablespoons whole wheat flour. Keep in pan just until stirred in (don't you love my gorgeous red enamel cast iron skillet?).


~ Transfer zucchini mixture to bread lined pan




~ In separate bowl, beat two eggs. Then add 1 cup cottage cheese, 3/4 cup plain yogurt and swiss cheese, about 1/2 cup or to taste, and stir until mixed well.

~ Pour over veggie mixture.

~ Garnish (if desired) with 1 roma tomato, sliced and placed around edge of pan, and a sprig of basil in middle. Again, I love basil so I do more of that here too.



~ Sprinkle top with 1/3 cup parmesan cheese



~ Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until middle is firm and cooked through.

~ Use sharp knife to cut into wedges. Serve with love:)

This made enough for the family members I had home that night. Next time I will try doubling or tripling the recipe in a casserole dish as the pie plate size won't be enough when everyone is home! I also think trying mozarella cheese on top might be good. Mozarella is always good with basil and tomato. Or feta...hmmmm....





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tiffany...
I just found your blog a while back since I had been missing your presence on WTM, and I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate what you post. Your ideas and recipes have been a help to me in the past few weeks.
BTW...I am still loving the aprons!
kimberly (Mrs. B)

Youthful One said...

Oh YUM.
Oh so very YUM.

I DO like your red enamel cast iron - WHERE did you get it?! We just discovered our missing cast iron pans and I'm going through the process of resurrecting them - but RED is my color!

I'm looking forward to trying some of these recipes, and adapting them for our gluten-free life. THANKS for sharing!!!

Christiana said...

Yum! I want to try that chile casserole!

Kathi said...

This is wonderful Tiffany. Thank you so much. Kathi

SweetAnnee said...

Oh honey..If I can plan my weekly meals from you..won't that be most of my work??
I love to cook, but need a menu..
thanks so much!!
deena
XXXXX
^
me doing cartwheels.
yeah RIGHT!!!

Sarah Vertner said...

I've been oogling that zucchini, cheese bake for a couple of weeks. I have to make dinner for a vegetarian family tonight and thought it'd be perfect! I'll let you know how it turns out - we'll make one for home too. I wish I had time to get up to the farm for some fresh eggs today... must start planning beter!