
My family is a soup eatin' family. We like to drink it, eat it with a spoon, slurp it, dip bread in it, we reeaaally like to top it -- we heart soup. Soup can be nourishing and healthy. Sometimes it is loaded with cheese or bacon or other not- always- considered-so- healthy ingredients. Sometimes it is just plain old comforting. When I am sick with a cold, I like to eat Chicken Noodle Soup and watch Perry Mason. Soups can be thick like Chili or thin like Egg Flour Soup. They might have bases of milk or broth or vegetables. Soups are usually hot, but they can be cold (although I definitely prefer the hot ones in cooler weather!). There are soups that need to simmer all day and fill your home with all sorts of good smelling aromas. And there are soups you can throw together in just a few minutes. You can serve them plain, with toppings, or with an accompaniment like bread or biscuits. You can even serve them in a bowl made of bread or in a veggie -- like a pumpkin. With soup, there is something for everyone!
Several times recently I have found myself in conversations about exchanging soup recipes. And one of my friends just posted a request in my comments too!
I love soup recipes. I love finding new family favorites. So, I finally decided it is time to try my very first "blog carnival". On Saturdays, now and at least through the fall and winter months, I will host "Soup's On Saturdays"!!!
I am still working on making it a pretty carnival. I need to talk to my Fairy Blogmother about what help she may be able to offer. But I figure, the cold weather is just beginning and we are all beginning our quest for warm, comforting SOUP. So we may as well jump right in!
You can post and link anytime all week. But posting between Saturday by 10am (or Friday evening if I get the post and links up by then) and Sunday night is probably best if you want alot of clicks. If you don't make it this week, you can join in next week.
First, write your post on your blog. Please make sure it is a recipe you have made, was successful and your family liked. We don't want icky experiments! Then find your permalink. Please link using your permalink for this specific post, not the link to your entire blog. Here's where you can read about that if you are not sure how. Insert it below, where it asks. If you have questions, I will help you if I can. But remember this is my very first experience being the hostess so I might have to look into it. A learning experience.
Make sure you look at everyone else's posts and recipes too. Leave them a comment or two, especially if you do try their recipe. And, if you don't have a blog, never fear. Send me your recipe and I will post it for you.
My mouth is watering just thinking about all of the scrumptious soups we'll all post:) So, here is my first recipe. It is one of our favorites. I have guarded our specific secrets in this soup until recently. Mmmmm, I'd love to eat it right now!
I found the basic recipe years ago and have tweaked it for my own family. We love the more chewy texture the brown and wild rices add. I have substituted real cheese for the Velveeta called for in the opriginal recipe, but if you care to use that, only use 8 ounces. I also love that it packs a great punch of veggies but you don't even notice. You can also blend up zucchini or other veggies and add them -- they might not get noticed either! And, always note. When I cook, I don't use exact measurements. So you can be creative too:) Add more broth or less cheese -- whatever works for you.
Cheesy Ham and Rice Soup
5 celery ribs, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup butter cubed
6 medium carrots, shredded
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups half and half
12 oz. grated cheddar cheese (I add until it looks right, this is an estimate)
3 cups cubed fully cooked ham or turkey ham
2 and 2/3 cups cooked brown rice
4 cups cooked wild rice
3 Tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
8 cups water
slivered almonds
Saute celery and onion in butter until tender, add carrots.Cook and stir for another couple of minutes. In a big kettle combine flour and pepper. Gradually stir in half and half and bring to a boil, stirring continually, and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted. Add ham and rice, water and bouillon, then veggie mixture. Return to boil.
Sprinkle almonds on individual bowls of soup. Don't miss this step as it adds such a nice taste of texture.You can toast the slivered almonds if desired, or just use them raw. I serve this soup with homemade biscuits.
I will be having voting each week for the previous week's soups you have tried. And an occasional prize or two...
Okay, Link Away!!!
5 comments:
Hey! It worked! Mr. Linky worked! Wow. I did it.It must be so easy a caveman can do it.
I am just so techno savvy now:)
YUMMMMM!!!!
If it wasn't already 1 in the morning, I'd go ahead and post and link etc. If I don't make it this time, I certainly will this season. I LOVE soups and have been eagerly awaiting the soup season. Not to say I have avoided soups all summer...
I am SO looking forward to sharing the soup love!
Add perma-linking to the list of things I've learned to do since starting my blog! Techno-savvy, indeed!
Thanks for starting this! I can't wait to make your recipe. Hubby loves ham; I love rice. Who doesn't love cheese? I'll let you know when I make it!
Have a great Saturday!
Em
ok! You KNOW I'm gonna love this one, being such a soup mamma myself! I love it! I love it! I love it!!
First up will be a Tomato Florentine!
thanks for this recipe! I switched it for my lentil soup recipe this week! I can get the family to eat lentil soup, but it helps when it is REALLY cold outside, and it's just not that cold out just yet!
I think your ham and cheese soup will be perfect!
Post a Comment