;; But I Had A Tiara: Eating Seasonally

Friday, September 19, 2008

Eating Seasonally


I have heroically saved quite alot of zucchini from certain unpleasant demise. It was barely scraped in spots and a day or two old. Mrs. Farmer says many subscribers are very picky and would rather have less and have it be perfect than to see any imperfections in their produce. She says to take all I want.

I only took half. I was sort of embarrassed to take it all. Mostly, I knew I would need to do something with all of it and knew my week was busy.

I started researching and discovered even more uses for zucchini than I had already thought! So now I am kicking myself and hoping she has more compost for me soon, before the zucchini has bid a final farewell to the vines in her fields.

So, as winter progresses and we are longing for summer again, I will occassionally share with you something new and yummy I am doing with all of the zucchini I am canning and pickling and freezing.

Tonight, according to my meal plan, I was supposed to let each person in my family make their own Flatbread Pizza.

But I have these piles of fresh zucchini plus some garden tomatoes and basil I grew in containers on our Hummingbird Deck. My freezer and cabinets are loaded with zucchini and I am starting on alternate food storage areas.

I want to "eat fresh" while we can, and I don't want anything to spoil.

So I switched.

I made something SO yummy. My kind of food. If you know me well, that might be a hint. But don't get too confident. It isn't a salad, which is normally "my kind of food".

I am excited to share it with you. On Monday.

No comments: