;; But I Had A Tiara: Soup's On! Saturday: Lots of Onions Soup

Friday, September 26, 2008

Soup's On! Saturday: Lots of Onions Soup


Soup's On! Saturday


If you did not see my initial post about this blog carnival, click here to read all about it.


Will YOUR family hear you say "Soup's On!" this Saturday? I hope to have my very own button by next week so it will be on each post and I will try to provide the html so you can put it on your blog too if you want:) Fairy Blogmother says she can help me, but I haven't had time to even do my part yet.


I have not yet tried Em's soup from last week. I am planning to make it for tomorrow or Sunday, depending on how many leftovers we have from the Cheesy Ham and Rice Soup I made today.


Did any of you try my recipe or Em's? What did you think? Did you do anything to customize either one for your own family? I sure enjoy that extra little pizazz the toasted almonds give the Cheesy Ham and Rice Soup!


Well, the weather forecast here calls for temperatures in the upper 80's or low 90's for at least part of next week. I won't be making soup on those Indian summer days, that's for sure! But as long as it stays a bit chilly -- or when it gets chilly again, which it is sure to do, I will be back to looking at more soup recipes! Maybe by then we'll have a real collection going. And, don't be shy, even if you don't have a blog, I can list your recipe right here. So make sure ya'all scroll down below the Linky to see if any recipes have been posted. And don't forget to tell your friends so they can add some for themselves and for us. Oh yeah, and check back all weekend as perhaps we'll have more than one linker now that this has been around a whole week!




French Onion Soup

I have been making this recipe since 1996, so I know it is definitely tried and true! I adapted it from one I found it in my favorite magazine, Taste of Home. One of these times I will write more about that fab mag. For now, cozy up with your warm soup bowl and enjoy the autumn season with one of the soups I consider to be on the short list of comforting foods I enjoy!

I slice, dice and/or chop the equivalent of at least 4-5 onions. I have used red, white, yellow (sweet or not), green onions and leeks (white part only). I prefer to slice the round onions and chop the greens and leeks. Then I add at least 1 garlic clove (to suit your own taste), throw them them in a fairly large cooking pot and saute them using butter or olive oil. I like to try to cook in as few dishes as possible to save on clean-up, so I use a pot that can accommodate all of the ingredients.

I have not had good success with any method of making beef broth that makes it strong enough for this soup. But if you prefer that, you'd add a little less than a quart and a half of homemade broth. Or you can use bouillon if that is your preference. I find that too salty myself. I use 2 cans of beef broth (or equivalent to one quart if you use boxes instead of cans like I do) and one can of beef consomme (found in canned soup section at store).

To this you will add approx. 1 teaspoon Worchestershire Sauce (do not omit) and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg. Bring to boil and simmer for about half an hour (I have skipped this step and it is fine, just a bit richer when all of the flavors have time to cook into each other).

Meanwhile, toast slices of bread. Most recipes call for french bread but I like sourdough. Whole wheat doesn't work very well IMO.

If you have those cute little oven proof soup bowls, you can now add desired amount of swiss cheese to the bottom of each (I'd say I put a few Tablespoons in each bowl). Then ladle your soup on the swiss cheese, place bread on top of soup, sprinkle with fresh grated parmesan cheese (approx. 6 Tablespoons for entire recipe) and place under broiler until cheese is bubbly.

If you don't have those bowls, as I didn't for many years, you can place your bread at the bottom of your bowl, cover with swiss cheese then soup and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.

This recipe makes about 6-8 bowls.

One of my all time favorites and so very easy!


Now go post a recipe for me! Then come back and link it here for everyone else, would ya (see Mr.Linky below)? Have a lovely autumn day,



8 comments:

Donna @ Way More Homemade said...

OOOH BOY! I'm 1st.

And check out my new template on the ol' recipe blog. :)

Sarah Vertner said...

French Onion is one of my favorites! Onions generally don't like my tummy, but I'm usually willing to risk it for French Onion soup!

I finally got my recipe up!

Unknown said...

I love the idea of sharing soup recipes!

Youthful One said...

Um- FYI - Em's link isn't working...

I, too, LOVE French Onion soup. Must wait until I can afford the gluten-free french bread, as my homemade version just wouldn't do the soup justice.

I'm making Sarah's soup tonight. :D

I'll contribute soon - as soon as you all are scrambling for new recipes because you've run out of your favorites. ;)

Em said...

Ok, I think I did it right this time. My link should be working now.

I'm so glad you decided to do this. I LOVE to try new soup recipes!

Em

Anonymous said...

Yes, I mentioned it to Em and am trying to get the bad link removed. Did you see she added more soups too? Yummy!

Thank you all for linking. I am excited to try these soups and add them our family repertoire.

Spread the word. I am sure we will have more and more each week.

Youthful One said...

Oh - we had Sarah's Tomato Florentine tonight - it was a hit! Before we even took a bite, my eldest said he wanted me to make it again - he knew he would like it. (He had two adult-sized helpings.)

$5 Dinner Mom said...

Can't wait to share more soup ideas! What a great way to make Saturday cooking easy! I'll keep this in mind when I do my November menu plan! Fall is knocking at our door and I'm looking forward to trying all sorts of soup over the winter months!
Erin