;; But I Had A Tiara: Joy In Whimsy And In Fango-Mangoes

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Joy In Whimsy And In Fango-Mangoes

Whimsy: 1. An odd or fanciful idea; a whim.
2. A quaint or fanciful quality"

I love whimsy. Sometimes I see it somewhere and it is outlandish -- or so loud it practically forbids even the birds to sleep a wink. Those times I am glad it isn't my own whimsy, but it brings me a great deal of joy to look upon for a moment or two. It looks fun and happy and is not just "going with the flow". Out of the ordinary.

Maybe I am in the doldrums, driving down the road, a bit mopey. Then I spy a silly yard ornament or a ridiculous Bobble Head Elvis on someone's dashboard. It makes me smile. Even if just a little.
... or when someone creates art that is contradictory. Like the now well known Bear Dance. I remember when it first came out I loved it. In fact, we still have it in our basement family room. I love that the style is traditional, like an oil painted feel that is sort of stuffy, and you glance at it with little interest. Then you spin your head back around after your eyes tell your brain that it is not what you expected, for the subject matter of bears dancing and having a party in the woods is far from stuffy! (I like it better without the words on the bottom, but this is what I could find)



There is a house nearby that is painted in at least 20 colors I'd say. Not shades of the same color, but actual different colors -- pink, purple, green, yellow, blue... The man who owns it told me it was his wife's idea and he wasn't really that cracked up about it. But he did it for her anyway. Now we all know his dedication to her, don't we? Since it was built and painted I have admired it. I don't want it. But I love seeing it up on the hill as I drive by. Even the style of the house is similar to one from Grimm's Fairy Tales!


A neighbor on our road painted their well house like a child's color collage. (Remember making those, coloring for hours and hours in hopes that your step-mother might frame it and put it over the piano?)


Whimsical. It's fun and unexpected to see.


Our front door is a little whimsical (especially without a doorknob).




And the metal finial to an old wood stove that we have in our perennial garden is quaint.



Can silly looking Flying Nun goats be whimsical?

This is Clementine. I think that even her name is whimsical. Oh my Darlin'...


Today I saw this bus shelter and I think it is adorable.




A few years ago I painted our old, worn out Adirondack chairs in loud and busy colors. I wish the picture showed the true colors of periwinkle purple, forest green and orange. I will need new ones soon and I shall paint them just the same!

I put them in front of our living room window so I can see them when I look out. They are even more unique now that they are barely holding together. I love the metal flower too, crafted by a local man. I bought it at a Farmer's Market.


The fire-hydrant-turned-watering-spigots in the
Healing Garden at the Burn Center where my cousin is right now is whimsical (pictured on page one of the pdf document linked above). The kids who come to visit loved ones can fill watering cans here and go around and water the plants and flowers. You can see why they call it a Healing Garden. These suffering people need whimsy much more than I do.

We have a watering can shaped like a flamingo. I bought it as part of the decorations for a birthday party for my husband. The theme was Flamingo Lounge and we all dressed up in styles from the 80s.
I'll post more about that another time.
Our baby boy makes that cute watering can even more delightful. He carries it around and calls it a
"Fango-Mango". Isn't that sweet and whimsical? I kind of hope he never says it correctly.

And look! Another natural smile instead of a cheesy grin.

And now each time we drive down our driveway I get to hear Little Man say
"Mama! One, two, four Fango-Mango!" (this is his way of saying there is more than one of something). Because, well, look what the neighbors put in their new garden... in front of their new barn... which is right at the bottom of our driveway...


Two Fango-Mangoes! Fango-Mangoes are whimsical aren't they?

Especially in the northwest,


out in the country,


in front of a barn:)

I love whimsy.

So there you have a few of the things things that give me my whimsy joy. Do you love whimsy? What whimsy is in your home or yard or life? What whimsy makes you smile? Or do you prefer to stay more traditional?

Maybe I should start "Whimsy On Wednesdays"!....



(I must consider the question: Where is the line between whimsical and just plain tacky? There definitely is one...)

5 comments:

Youthful One said...

I really like the Whimsical Wednesday idea!

Unfortunately, that line between whimsical and tacky is varying widths, and some folks need glasses to find it.

christa jean said...

You should totally do "Whimsical Wednesdays"! What a fanciful idea from an fun idea lady!

I have lots of whimsy in my house, because I like to be bold in color even if I'm not bold in person. And I'm married to a man of whimsy!

The piece of whimsy that jumps in me head right now is the old oval frame that I painted super hot pink and put on a wall. It's tricky because the wall behind it is gray and thus causes many people to do a double take thinking it might be a mirror.

Sarah Vertner said...

I love whimsy! I love to laugh, so I think it makes sense...(and it doesn't take much to make me laugh)

I think God loves it too, that our enjoyment in it comes from our creator... like in your flying nun goat.

I'd do whimsical Wednesdays! Do it, do it!

The Everett Seven said...

I remember the Diving Pig by Michael Sowa painting that we liked at the Street of Dreams a million years ago!
I would still put it in my house because it makes me smile!

Kathi said...

I am all for "Whimsical Wednesday."
Your neighborhood has more whimsy than mine though. I don't think I could handle living in a house with that many colors. Driving by at a safe distance would be okay though. Have a great day, and thanks for your encouraging words the other day. Hugs, Kathi