;; But I Had A Tiara: The View From Where I Live

Sunday, April 27, 2008

The View From Where I Live


(photo is a northeasterly view from our back deck)

I remember the very first night this place became ours. I came out here all alone to start unpacking our kitchen. My strongest memory is of the scent of pine trees on a warm summer night. I remember thinking that is all I could smell. There were no car smells or anyone's barbeque. I took long, deep breaths of it and marveled to myself that I might just get to smell that the rest of my life. And it was so very dark, unlike city life where street lights illuminate most streets. I was actually kind of scared.

One of my strongest memories of moving out of our city house is sitting in my garage weeping because I'd be moving away from one of my dearest friends. It was such a blessing to live right next door to Wendy for five years. We both had upheavals in our lives during those years, as we all will within the span of five years, and I am grateful for the support we could lend to one another. I remember her mom stopping by and seeing me cry and asking why. When I told her, she reminded me that we'd only be moving 20 minutes away. Although I knew that was true, I also know that life gets in the way, and I knew there was no way we'd get to see each other nearly as often. I was right. But our friendship is still very precious to me. She walked so closely with me, probably as close as I let anyone walk with me, when I walked through My Dark Night.

Today, our lovely newest neighbor's two mini horses got out and came up onto our property. Of course, Mr. Herriot (my husband) who would certainly know how to catch the horses quickly, wasn't home. But myself and the four of our children who were home, and can walk steadily on uneven ground, were out there slipping and sliding and getting mud covered trying anyway. I was the one in fleece pajamas, wearing Crocs with empty holes for Jibbitz in 4 inch deep mud, in front of the neighbors I don't know very well. Hey, it was what looked decent and comfy when I got home from church. Attractive. I am sure I am making a great impression. The homeschool mom of six, who has goats and a milk cow AND drinks their milk plus wears fleece pajamas on Sundays.

I did thoroughly enjoy it that this time it was someone else's turn to catch their animals. Those tiny horses were really very beautiful to watch running around. Seeing my children want to help the neighbor rather than sit and quietly enjoy one of the few work-free days they get - good naturedly and with laughter I might add - is a true joy.

Mimmers and Doodle found and caught a beautiful tree frog. I got to stand and chat (in my fleece pajamas) with my neighbor, Lynn, while her daughter very patiently sat kneeling and waiting for the minis to settle down. Our Trusty Farmhand and our Aspiring Statesman were chivalrous in their efforts to help a damsel in distress. Each time I turned around I got to admire the valley below with it's ever changing patchwork of petals and leaves, now in it's spring attire. And I got to breathe in long, deep breaths of pine trees.

I will never take for granted, and never grow tired of, the View From Where I Live.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

eeew you wear crocks!? heehaahha just kidding. :)

I enjoy being up at your house largly because of that view. It really is, so wonderful. I'm glad to be a part of your life so I get to enjoy the view, too. Can I come over?

Your friendship with Wendy sounds like it was perefect for those 5 years. And even though you're not as close as you were then, you'll always have a special bond. It will allow you to be able to trust her forever even if you don't see each other very much anymore. That is a rare kind of friendship to have.