;; But I Had A Tiara: "Lord, I'm being humble, but no one is noticing!"

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

"Lord, I'm being humble, but no one is noticing!"


Signs of Pride:


~ "A Critical Spirit" : Wow, this is an easy one to have. I think for women it can really play into the self-esteem issue. We start "leveling" -- elevating ourselves or putting others down so we feel better about ourselves. It can become deeply ingrained and, as it takes root, we can find ourselves being critical about pretty much everything.


~ "Inability To Receive Correction" : Can you say DEFENSIVENESS? Even if we don't think we are wrong, accepting correction with a quiet and humble spirit, giving the Holy Spirit time to convict us if there is truth in it rather than automatically putting up a wall of defense, would be humility. I'm thinking how many marital arguments this could prevent! Or arguments between parents and older kids, or misunderstandings in organizations. I guess just arguments in general.


~ "Refusing To Forgive": As I posted on Sunday, I have been reading alot about forgiveness, and I have found some clarity. I have uncovered some areas where I have had unforgiveness without realizing it. And I have found that just knowing about them frees me up to be able to forgive. Ahhh, I feel much lighter! I know that I need the Lord to CONTINUALLY keep opening up my ugly parts and showing me situations where I am unforgiving, even when I haven't known that I have been. Then I need to give those to Him continually.


"Evidences of Humility:

~ A Teachable Heart

~ A Submissive Heart

~ A Servant's Heart"


To me, this also spells out a quiet spirit. That makes me feel peaceful. No struggle to try to make sure I am viewed as being right and, for me an even bigger release, no struggle to make sure I am understood.


"Humility is the beginning of usability." I had never thought about that specifically until we started going to the church we are in. They have mentioned on several occasions that their leaders are those who thought they were ill equipped. They don't think of themselves as the "go-to guy" for a specific thing because they have that topic mastered. They just want to serve and help people. Lord, I want You to use me! Please give me more humility.



The outline and quotes are from our Pastor, Phil Comer. I thought it was very applicable and thought provoking so wanted to apply it to myself personally here in this blog. You can listen to Sunday's message where he gave it here: http://www.ajesuschurch.org/teachings_topic.php?tid=539&c=1

1 comment:

christa jean said...

You could say I just "stumbled" across these verses this morning and your post reminded me of them again... “And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses.” (Mark 11:25)
Okay, don't know about you, but those verses are very sobering to me. To think that maybe God will not release forgiveness to me if I am still harboring hurt and unforgiveness toward someone?! Yikes! I really like your second point about receiving correction/rebuke... in my studying of the Proverbs for the differences between those who are wise and those who are foolish, this topic comes up a lot. A wise person is known to be able to receive correction. Lord, let me be wise in this way!