I tried to coordinate the timing of this post to give you plenty of time to make some mixes yourself before the holiday season hits us full force. Also to remind and motivate myself to start getting some of this stuff done ahead of time!
How many recipes do you have that call for onion soup mix? I know I have lots. It is a great shortcut for many delicious meals, many are for the crockpot. I remember needing to make something quick and easy, then going for one of my trusty roast recipes, only to realize I am out of onion soup mix. So I looked around and figured out that I could make my own with ingredients I normally have on hand. Mixing up a batch of it doesn't take too much longer than ripping open a package. You know exactly what ingredients are in it, and you can tailor it to match whatever you are making.
Pick-a-Flavor Onion Soup Mix
1 1/2 cups dried minced onion
2/3 cup onion powder2/3 cup bouillon granules of your choice (I use beef, chicken or mushroom)
1/2 teaspoon sugar (I use less processed sugar and it works well)
Herbs are nice too. Basil is always a welcome addition in my book. If I am using chicken bouillon and will be using mix for poultry dishes, I like to add tarragon.
Soup-In-A-Jar
Dry soup mix in a jar is one of my favorite gifts to make and give to my loved ones, especially during the cold months. I love soup in general (ya think?) and I love feeling like I am sharing a little bit of my love, even when I am not there, as the recipient enjoys the warm, cozy, and tasty contents of the simple glass jar I have given them, maybe even months before.
That simple glass jar is another thing I love about making soup mixes. I love the simplicity of using a plain old canning jar. The fact that I am giving them something they can reuse, especially something that is not plastic, appeals to me. Canning jars can be found inexpensively through Craigslist, garage sales, and the Goodwill too. Gotta love me a gift that can be given without having to find a decorative tin or a bunch of wrapping supplies!
Many people enjoy adding a fabric circle under the metal ring lid. My must-have is a piece of raffia or twine. I use that to tie on a piece of brown paper bag with the instructions written on it, or typed out on white paper and glued on. Sometimes I use burlap under the ring. Another idea I have been thinking about trying is using a piece of white tea towel from the dollar store and letting the kids use fabric paint on it. Simple, quick and easy -- that's probably the only way I am going to get it done!
I have made and used several different soup mixes. My favorite, to give and to eat, is a mushroom soup recipe. Check out the link for more details. What I love about it, in addition to the delicious taste of the basic recipe, is how flexible it is.
Another all-time favorite, whether in a mix or otherwise, is Tortilla Soup. I have seen varying recipes for this, as well as different ways for layering the ingredients. Search around the internet and you can find some interesting ones, including this one that calls for lemonade powder!
I don't add the tortilla chips to the jar. I use that space for the rice and spices, then add a bag of chips, and cans of chiles, tomatoes and canned chicken in a basket. If you know it will be eaten in the next few days, you can also add a container of sour cream, some grated cheese, an avocado and other items that make good tortilla soup toppings.
From Pioneer Soup to Basic Chicken Noodle, it's pretty easy to find one for any taste, and you probably already have most of the ingredients on hand. There is so much out there, this post could get way too long.
I hope I shared with you just enough inspiration to go "in search of" and find some you enjoy making, eating and giving!
No comments:
Post a Comment