(Due to problems with my writer this weekend, I am combining SOS (top half) and MPM (second half) . Come back on Saturdays for Soup's On Saturday, and Sundays for Menu Plan Monday.)
S.O.S. "Like Grandma Used To Make"
When I think of soups my grandma used to make, the first thing that comes to my mind is a bunch of slimy shellfish floating around in milk with a pat of butter. Not really my cuppa tea, but it is a family tradition and I do see the value in it. I just don't want to eat it!
The next soup I think of is my Gran's Chicken and Dumplings. But it's been awhile since she made the old fashioned kind. It was replaced years ago by canned Cream of Chicken Soup, and dumplings made with Bisquick.
I do, however, remember my Great-Grandma, as well as my Grandma, making Chicken Soup with Homemade Noodles. If you've never had homemade noodles before, you probably can't imagine the taste or the texture accurately.
My GG's noodles are made with white flour and I have not had much luck, so far, in revamping them with whole wheat. Truth be told, I sorta want to just leave them as they have always been - a pretty basic recipe. For every ONE egg, you add ONE cup of flour and ONE pinch of salt. Mix together until all ingredients are combined and knead until smooth. Roll to about 1/4 inch and cut into slices, however long you prefer your noodles to be. Add them slowly to your boiling bone broth (I add veggies too) and let them cook until done. Purty easy alright!
If that's not easy enough for you, Costco sells a brand of egg noodles that are very good and, in the absence of homemade, will do just fine.
Sorry I don't have pictures this time. I had hoped to get some of my grandma making them but can't find any so far.
If you have a favorite soup your grandma used to make, I'd sure love to see the recipe. Feel free to link it in my comment section. Make sure you come back next Saturday for my next installment, "Soup's On Saturday:Making and Using Dry Soups and Mixes". I gave dry soup mixes for Christmas one year and I still hear about how delicious and handy they were!
Menu Plan Monday:(for lots more menu ideas, visit OrgJunkie each Monday)
Note: Last week I planned to make Slow Cooker Curry Chicken with Quinoa, only not in the slow cooker. When I went to cook it up, I found that all of the apples I had planned on using had been eaten. Well, in this house of eight people, this is sometimes unavoidable -- items I purchase for a certain recipe get eaten. So, you have to learn to make do! I did have on hand a pint jar of pearsauce I made and canned last year, so I threw that in as a substitute and LOVED IT!
As for my MENU PLAN this week:
Monday: Rice and Sausages
Tuesday: Sloppy Joe's with Homemade buns we did not get last week
Wednesday: Cream Cheese Chicken over rice
Thursday: Nacho Spuds
Friday: Older and Wiser Sister's Taco Soup
Saturday Leftovers
Sunday OUT to eat

1 comment:
Tiffany ~
The Cream Cheese Chicken over Rice sounds deelishhhh! A definate must try for us - got to love a crock pot. =)
Thanks for sharing your menu ~ sounds great!
Blessings ~
Post a Comment