;; But I Had A Tiara: Menu Plan Monday, August 30-Sept.5, 2010

Monday, August 30, 2010

Menu Plan Monday, August 30-Sept.5, 2010

My daughter has been showing an interest in antiques and vintage items for the past couple years. She sometimes goes “antiquing” or “garage sale-ing” with me, and has even ventured to the huge antique expo with me a couple of times. So I was pretty excited when, at the Goodwill a couple weeks ago, I found an old recipe card club file box from 1971with a complete set of recipes, including a section entitled “Recipes Children Can Make”.

IMG_2629

Making sure that my daughter knows how to run a household is very important to me. She needs to know how to care for others, take care of babies, clean, do laundry and etc. for sure, but I really, really want to make sure she understands how to cook, develops an instinct, and has confidence with it. She is 9 years old now and knows some basics, but I am excited to take her through some more formal training.

So, starting once our family schedule settles down a bit (when we are done with traveling and camping trips), we, along with my 11 year old son at least some of the time (yep, boys need to know too!), are going to start some purposeful cooking lessons, using this vintage Betty Crocker Recipe Card Library.

IMG_2434

Some of the recipes are not as wholesome as I prefer to serve my family regularly, but they are recipes that she will be able to do by herself, and can give her a good foundation for confidence building.

She and I are both pretty excited about getting started. I’ll be using the recipes in my MPM posts and linking to the blog where we will have posted about making it (I will also be teaching her some computer skills during the process) so you will all get to see how it is going.

With that in mind, I have also planned to use several recipes this week which the kids can make with me, just to whet our whistles. Amidst all of the projects, I am trying to spend time with the kids and involve them as much as possible in whatever I am doing. I am trying to make the most of every summer minute we have left. I hope you are doing the same!

Have a great week!

Menu Plan Monday

I have found so many new recipe ideas through people who have posted their menus and links to recipes on Menu Plan Monday. I don’t have time to look at every link, but I do look through at least several almost every week. I make a note of recipes I’d like to try on my private blog space, where I hyperlink recipes, and make a note of which blog I found the link on so I can give credit if/when I actually use it in my Menu Plan. I love MPM:)

MPM Produce

Monday: Apple and Chicken Sandwiches with this recipe which OrgJunkie shared on MPM as inspiration.

Tuesday: Easy, Creamy Mexican Skillet which was referred by Vanderbilt Wife via MPM

Wednesday: BBQ Sloppy Chicken Pan Pizza also referred via MPM

Thursday: Pepperoni Bread also found via MPM, when I followed additional links

Friday: Indian Flair Potato Pancakes

Saturday: Leftovers

Sunday: Burger Thing

In addition to menu plans for dinner, I am hoping to try Migas as something new for breakfast.

No comments: