;; But I Had A Tiara: Homeschool Room, A Work In (a little bit of ) Progress

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Homeschool Room, A Work In (a little bit of ) Progress

Not Back to School Blog Hop

If you came over from Heart of the Matter, please tell me you stopped in! If you didn't, you might want to check it out! This week is schoolroom week...

Several years ago we decided to add on to our house. One of the rooms we planned to add was a homeschool room.

We had always used our home comfortably, but it sure sounded nice to have a room dedicated to all of the books and crafts, etc. which come along with homeschooling. That way we’d have everything all in one place. Especially since, at that time, we had 5 school-aged children. That’s alot of stuff.

So build we did. And we made glorious plans for all of the wonderful things we’d include. Ohhh, the sheer joy of envisioning everything we’d learn, and all of the crafts and projects we’d do there. It was gonna be gooooddd.

Then, a certain worldwide business machine company my husband worked for changed their mind about something pretty important. And the effect on us was alot of money. NOT in our pockets. Which had been promised.

So, the addition was built and we were pretty far along, but we simply. ran. out. of. money. $$$

HALT.

Since then, that room has been a storage room, a garage sale prep room, a rabbit dormitory and a homeschool storage area, among other things.

Disclaimer: Let me be clear, I am not complaining. I am grateful that I have the space and all of the beautiful things it already contains. I am grateful I even get to stay home with my kids, not to mention homeschool them. I know that many are struggling now. And we’re okay, we just have an unfinished addition. And I know there are many of you who would just like to pay your light bill.

This year, it is my hope to use it, as is, for it’s originally intended purpose. Because we built it. And, hey, the kids are not getting any younger (Drat those kids!!).

So, today, I am swallowing my pride, and I am going to show you some pictures of the room in pretty raw form. Then I am going to tell you a few of my ideas and inspirations and invite you to help me make it be the best it can be, in it’s present form, for little to no money.

IMG_2062 Basic idea, view from door. To my left, about 2 feet inside the door on the same wall as the shelves you see here, is the plumbing for the farm sink.

Some of the high points (dreams come true) are:

~ The old time light fixtures that came from the same molds as old schoolhouse light fixtures. I adore those!

~ In the big box against the wall is our 30” Porcher Farm sink. Waiting. And our plumbing fixtures are in the box on top of it.


~ All of the big windows and french doors, allowing us to enjoy the views, inviting us to participate in all of the warmth and greens and nature and natural light.

~ Soft, yet bright, yellow walls. I love yellow!

The two main basic things that are still missing are the flooring and the trim around the floors. You can see the sub-flooring has also seen better days!

We have the trim all stained and ready to go. The flooring we chose is made of cork and cut so it looks like planks, similar to this:

cork_main

It is a highly durable material, and is made with renewable resources. This guy has some interesting information about cork flooring.

I have talked about painting the floor while we wait to save the rest of the money we need for the flooring. But we keep thinking we are close, so just haven’t yet.

IMG_2069 North and east facing windows

IMG_2074 Current reading area

I envision having a reading area. We use a literature based curriculum. And we read alot anyway. I hope to find some kind of comfy couch and/or chairs on Craigslist or at the Goodwill to place here.

We already had the area rug, so it is there for now. We already had the pillows too. The reverse sides are animal prints. I am thinking of recovering them. Or I may just move them back to the family room.

The little 60’s cart was my grandparents. It is brown and getting beat up looking. I may repaint it. Because the books we read change all of the time, I thought this would be a sweet way to keep our current books handy to our reading area. It also holds my youngest son’s coloring lap tray, and can hold other learning things to keep him busy. It’s also a good place for our file box. It holds chore cards, memory cards and cue cards to study for tests.

IMG_2077

East facing door and west facing wall, which adjoins our living room. The big bump contains our chimney. The picture was hung when something taller was there. I don’t usually hang art very high.

All three of the desks were given to us by friends who were moving out of state. They are not exactly what I had in mind, but free is a very good price and I am grateful I have these desks for now. I had grand ideas for built in custom counters, cabinets and desks, and shelves going all the way up to the ceiling in this area, to take advantage of the vertical space (you can’t tell here, but it is a very high ceiling), which we would access via an old (or old looking, safety first!) ladder.

Floor-to-ceiling-bookcases-HTOURS0106-de-94821211 (Note: Regrettably, not my room. Just a great example of what I’d like.)

This picture, that I just now found in a great feature by Country Living, is ALOT like what I had in mind, down to the look of the plank wood floors and the farm table (in fact, there is lots of other fun inspiration in that piece!). Ours would include low counters or wide sills for ant farms, butterfly cocoons, and other small animal habitats, our interactive globe, microscope, etc.

I’d love cabinets like these:

Kitchen-cabinets-HTOURS0106-de-69332394

Those cabinets (above) are very close in color to our bathroom cabinets, and I love it. But I think we will eventually go with white cabinets since the doors are white and the walls are yellow. I’d love butcher block tops too, but it depends on what else we settle on and when. We may go with black. The picture above even has a farm style sink. And I love the lower counter right next to the sink too!

IMG_2070 My little desk area (I found the sweet old chair at the Goodwill for under ten dollars)

I am trying to decide if this area should be for school related work only, or if I should find a way to store other items such as stationery, bill paying center, etc.

Right now I have some contraband naked bottom photos of my kids. Those are the six 8X10 pictures you see above.I had each child photographed in the same pose between 6-7 months, laying on their tummy, bare naked. They are very sweet and innocent. But one of my older boys decided recently that it was time for them to disappear. So I am trying to honor his wishes while still being able to enjoy something I love. I doubt he will even notice they are there. At least not for a long time.

IMG_2071

The other piece of “art” is a dream board. I recently participated in a Bible study based on the book of Ruth. One of the assignments was simply to dream, and to make something where we could visualize some of our dreams. That might sound simple, but it was quite an undertaking for me. I will talk about that in another post. Under the dream board, hanging on a hook, is my literal, written (but still partial) Bucket List, inside a little bucket.

Because, where else in a house do you put something like that? I also plan to hang some precious photos I took in India somewhere in this area. And, obviously, I need some kind of shelving and storage. Oh, and do you see the cute blue file folders on my desk? Take note, because I am going to bring them up again.

IMG_2072

Here is the current storage solution. The shelves were free, from the same people who gave us the desks. Just to the left of these shelves is where the plumbing is for the farm sink.

IMG_2082 I prefer not to have all of the clutter exposed. I am working at tidying it up but, eventually, I hope to have more enclosed cabinets. I am searching for some solutions on how to store notebooks too (you have any ideas on this?). Because their shape just irritates me as they don’t line up nicely on the shelves. And I have set a goal to use up alot of those craft items on the bottom shelves before the school year is over!

A piece of art I love (you can see in picture above where it is hanging). I found it at the Goodwill a few years back and thought it would be perfect for a homeschool room.


IMG_2085 Since I think the light prevented you from being able to see in the picture above, I thought I’d show you our homeschool security system, Boris. If you look closely, you can even see where he slimed the window. LOL.

As I have mentioned before, I recently took a trip to India. And, yes, part of my heart stayed there when the rest of me flew home. I have been wanting to come up with a way to include that beautiful, bright, Indian blue you so often see there. So far, I have not worked it into our house.

P7200041 Near Mother Teresa’s Home For the Destitute and Dying, Kolkata

P7161461Dinesh, Sangita 2Two beautiful children I love

I will be framing the pictures above, as well as others with blue, above my desk. This brings me back to the blue file folders. And the pillows I might recover. And how I want to tidy up the shelves.

I want to keep the room somewhat farmy and schoolish and traditional, but would like to inject a pop of this color, or similar, here and there.

I have three school aged children and a pre-schooler. I’d like ideas on inexpensive ways to make this room work. Each item I add must be functional, not just decorative. Do you have ideas for me?

Oh, and if you know of any contests to win a free room makeover, I’d make a great contestant!


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the room Tiffany. Can't wait to see it change as you are able to add more to it. The lighting is just wonderful! And just think, in years to come what you can change it into when it is not longer needed for a homeschool room. Exciting!

Kristin said...

I can't help out with ideas for the room...and I don't know anyone giving away a room makeover...but I can say thank you for stopping by my blog today. :-)

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Looks to me like you have it all going on there! Great room, even without being finished!

angela @ kinder days said...

hi,
GREAT space, and there is alot of potential in there!! i love it!

I too, decorated my school room on little or NO budget. I do appreciate it becuase it gets me to think outside the box, and i read and research alot too...

our room is not nearly as big, as yours...
you are welcome to see our room...
I used to paint, to bring junk finds, and yard sale finds together... unusual storage, etc... i am pretty happy with it. but i encourage you to look for things out of the ordinaary.. Also, everything i needed The LORD provided!!! Every single thing... he not only cares about supplying our needs, he cares about the details we desire too! I have always been amazed at how the lord provides in my decorating needs! =)

be encouraged!

Denise said...

Wow~ I love all the windows and light! And I really LOVE that picture (the one from, I think, Goodwill). Good luck with the work, but it honestly looks nice now.

The Everett Seven said...

I envy the big wide open space you have! The picture of the room with the big farm table is exactly what I had envisioned in your room. Did you at one time have a big table in there? I love your goodwill picture too.
I always go back to this post for my organizational tips, especially on binders. She uses Sonlight tool.http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeschooling/2009/01/how-i-saved-my-sanity-and-sunday-evenings/

Tracy said...

What a great space! Just keep going, is all I would say!

Do you live anywhere near an IKEA? You can get GREAT storage things for LOW prices!

I would keep that cozy corner for you and all that you love!

Carla (Choosing His Joy) said...

Hi Tiffany,
You stopped by my blog and asked about the blue baskets--they are from Target but I don't think they have anymore (at least here in California). They have other newer ones though probably.

I love the room! I think organizing in blue baskets would help bring the blue that you want while at the same time holding items so that they are not all exposed.

I was going to suggest painting the floor if you couldn't put floor in. I will think about it and see if I can think of other ideas!

Carla (Masto Mama)
http://mastomama.blogspot.com/
http://mastomamamakeovers.blogspot.com/

Nicole said...

Lots of potential there, and you have great ideas!

I hope you're able to fulfill some of your dreams for that room soon.

Thanks for stopping by my blog, and best wishes for a wonderful school year.

Mommy Reg said...

Wow, what a great space! It has so much potential. God is so faithful to provide as you need it. Baskets or bins work great for holding things. Since you want to go with the traditional schoolhouse/farmhouse theme, you might try finding some old wooden crates. You can even paint them blue. Other, than that, I really don't have any other ideas. I am so not the decorator type.

Emily said...

I think your school room is lovely. How wonderful it will be when you have your sink installed. What a treat to have in a school room.

Maybe some comfy slippers kept near the door to the school room will help you enjoy it while you wait for flooring.

The Davidson Den said...

I appreciate your honest cry for help. I probably should have approached mine that way. We are still in the "dreaming" stages of that perfect homeschool room. That room we probably won't have for several more years now. I wish I could help you. But, alas, it is 11:00 p.m. and I am nearly brain dead at this point. Maybe something will come to me later...

Anna P said...

What a beautiful, large, bright space! So much potential! I cant wait to see where it progresses! thanks for sharing =)

Casey said...

I love your room too, even unfinished. I just love the yellow color, and it will look great with pops of blue. Best of luck finishing it.
Casey