This is Day-In-The-Life week over at Heart of the Matter, as part of their Not Back to School Blog Hop. However, we really are not back to school. Even at home. We are still harvesting those last days of summer. Here in Oregon, even the kids who do go back to school are not yet back to school.So, for now, I’ll just share something basic about the way we plan our days.
When we are in school, we “do school” from about 8am-1pm. We don’t break for lunch until we’re pretty much done. Because, for this family, it’s just too hard to get back to it after that. I make a plan of what needs to be accomplished and we work our way through it, rather than trying to plan a certain amount of time for each thing. Stringent scheduling just doesn’t work for this creative-yet-goal-oriented mom of a “large” family.
I look forward to reading other posts I find at Heart Of The Matter this week. And I’ll share more specifics about our schedule some other time, when we are done enjoying summer.
Oh, and, by way of a little bit older more seasoned friend smiling and lovingly patting you on the back and telling you “You can do it!”, please let me offer these couple of words of advice as you troll along through some super fun posts by other moms (and maybe some dads and kids too).
~ What works for someone else might not work for you. What works for you might not work for someone else. Like I always say, “be like a whale” – read and listen to the plans, input, and advice of others, drink it all in. Then spit out everything that is non-nutritious and only keep the good stuff, the things which will fortify you and your family. Don’t use it to compare yourself or to feel overwhelmed by all that you are not doing. (Here at But I Had A Tiara, we are not allowed to compare, etc. see sidebar!)
~ Make a plan. Because I love being flexible and you can’t be flexible without a plan.
I hope you enjoy looking at the schedules of other Not back To Schoolers, and get lots of wonderful inspiration!
1 comment:
I love your analogy to be like a whale! I read a post about Homeschool Envy and how reading what other people do can sometimes make us question what we are doing. Since I have only been homeschooling since January, I am going to keep the picture of a whale in my mind when I take in everything I read.
Post a Comment