;; But I Had A Tiara: This Dinner Is A Winner!!! And this one a Flop...

Monday, June 9, 2008

This Dinner Is A Winner!!! And this one a Flop...



WINNER: 7 Layer Tortilla Pie

I made something for dinner last week that we all loved. From High School Graduate to High Chair Diner, it was a huge hit. I gave it it's own recipe card in my box. That's sayin' somethin. I am sure it will get much use.

And it was easy.

And it was inexpensive.

And it would work for my vegetarian friends.

So I thought I'd post the link here for ya'all.

Notes: I slightly blended the kidney bean layer in my VitaMix. To this, I also added some cumin and a little chili powder to suit my own family's particular tastes. You could also add some taco meat if you want to. I baked two of them on one cookie sheet (rather than in a tart pan) and did not cover it with foil while baking. I think this is what made my family especially love it. It was crunchy around the edges and very yummy. And I did not keep track of the number of layers I was using. I spread the appropriate amount of filling on each layer, then moved on to the next, stopping when I ran out of filling. Before serving I cut it just like a pie, as the name suggests, and served it with sour cream, salsa, pico de gallo and avocado on the side.


FLOP: Bourbon Chicken

Tasted too much like bourbon. If I were to make it again (but I probably won't even try) I'd marinate it for only 5 or 6 hours. We ended up eating burritos and quesadillas for a last minute dinner. I am going to try to use this chicken in the crockpot, maybe in a soup. Maybe it will turn out fabulously and will win alot of awards and a trip to Louisiana.

Could have turned out bad because I let it marinate even longer than the recipe called for. I was just so happy to have had it all ready to pop into the oven after a day of doctor's appointments. Perhaps this was not the appropriate day to do it.

Could be because I am cheap and don't know a thing about bourbon so just asked the lady at the liquor store for the cheapest bourbon she had, which was Jim Beam. Is that bad?


4 comments:

Sarah Vertner said...

i think bourbon is an acquired taste... maybe??? Maybe add something sweet like extra brown sugar to mellow it out a bit??

Anonymous said...

Ditch the dinner and just drink the bourbon.

Anonymous said...

I'm saving that 7 layer dinner, btw. Looks great! We had your famous Jambalaya tonight (made it w/o your assistance this time!)

Youthful One said...

I make something almost exactly like that 7-layer one, though mine is called Mexican Bean Pie - and it suggests baking in a springform pan, which makes it easier to cut than in a tart dish (IMO). We love it and it's always disappeared when I've taken it to potlucks too.

Thanks for trying and reviewing the bourbon chicken. I'll just pass that one right by.