;; But I Had A Tiara: Soup's On Saturday! Pumpkin Soups

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Soup's On Saturday! Pumpkin Soups



Today's theme is Pumpkin Soup. So I searched for just the right recipe and I made Velvety Pumpkin Soup with Blue Cheese and Bacon. And I think it is a pretty good recipe going by all of the reviews online. The blue cheese didn't do a thing for me. It just didn't seem to "go". What
I really liked about it was the bacon you sprinkle on top. It really made the soup for me.


Cuz, well...


I've decided pumpkin soup is not my favorite. Not by itself anyway. It's the texture I'm talking about here. It's smooth yet grainy at the same time. I did use my own pumpkin rather than the canned variety. I pureed it myself in the Vita-Mix. Which hasn't been working as well as it should be. Maybe that's the problem.


When I make this Pumpkin Chili my friend Julie C. told me about last year I did enjoy that. But you don't puree the pumpkin for that recipe. And it calls for cumin, which I love.


That said, when I included the addition of bacon, I did enjoy this soup. It was a special soup, and very festive. I will probably never make it again. But I think the recipe is a great one and very simple to make. If you like pureed pumpkin.

Maybe if I add some apple? I am not sure what I am going to do with a pot of it. If any of you locals want it, let me know. Otherwise, the chickens will be having Thanksgiving early.

Does anyone else have a pumpkin soup recipe they actually enjoy? Any tricks to make it not be a little grainy? Any more recipes that use chunks of pumpkin rather than pureed? I have more pumpkin to use and I don't want to use it all in desserts. So I'd love more soup and stew recipes using it.


It's definitely getting to be quite fall-like around here. I am ready to hunker down and get comfy. NEXT WEEK'S THEME will be Soups That Help You Feel Better. I like keeping nourishing and comforting food ideas around for kiddos (and other folks) with sort throats. And "they" are anticipating alot of that sort of thing this season. Some in our extended family have already had H1N1. And I am hearing alot of people sniffling and saying they are not feeling well.

Do you have a broth or soup recipe that is comforting when you don't feel well? Or one that seems to maybe even make you feel better when you eat it? Maybe it has just the right texture or spices, or contains a secret ingredient for helping to fight off sickness. If you do, I'd love to know.


Hoping you and yours stay healthy this week!




1 comment:

elizabeth embracing life said...

This is not as organic but I have always used fresh pumpkin puree and then I add a couple cans of butternut squash, sauteed onions and a pinch of curry. I am NOT a curry person but every year this soup gets raves from the most finicky eaters. BTWAy I will take your soup off your hands if you don't mind me dr.'ing it a bit.