Hands down, my favorite herb is fresh BASIL.
I eat it in salads. I eat it in eggs. I used it for my Caprese Salad yesterday.
I make fresh cheese sometimes, just to honor it.
The green color in some of these cheese designs, from my class, is basil.
I love the way it looks and the way it smells. I am sad when summer passes and it is hard to find it fresh.
Yesterday I found a way to extend the season just a little…
This is hydroponic basil. That means it is grown in water. It is sold with it’s root system intact, so all you have to do is stick it in water on your window sill. It was $3.99 a package. It says there are 2 plants, but both of the packages I bought had three each.
Look how sweet it looks on my sill. Hopefully I can find these year round.
It sure smells good! I hope you can find it at a store near you!
I’m going to make some eggs for breakfast!
5 comments:
My good friend Danielle has taken 'regular' basil sprouts and done the same thing. I'm guessing you could keep it in your window year-round, as long as you don't eat it all up. Not sure how long it takes for a sprout to grow enough for a meal. ;-)
Youthful, I normally keep my basil in a jar of water in the fridge with a ziploc loosely over it. They keep well that way but don't continue to grow bigger or additional leaves. Does Danielle keep hers in the fridge or on the sill?
Tiffany,
Will you please come to my house and cook? I think I am a good cook but my daughter keeps walking by seeing YOUR pictures and making "Yummy" noises! :)
We grow Basil too. This is our first year and it has done beautifully. I will have to try to find the water kind.
Tiffany - me too! I love basil... love it in salads and I love cooking with it. :)
Fresh basil goes great with roasted tomatoes! ;)
Post a Comment