
Today I went with my Older and Wiser Sister with four of my children to O.M.S.I. For you who are not local, that is the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry.
We went to a planetarium show called Cosmic Collisions.
Robert Redford's classic voice narrated our show.
The pretty lights on a dark background, the dimensional planets and stars, and the movements that made my two year old turn around and snuggle close when he thought the planets were really coming at us were all mesmerizing.
Some of the ideas they presented were fascinating -- such as a spaceship possibly using gravity to slowly steer huge and devastating meteors away from earth.
I am assuming neither Mr. Redford, nor the writers, directors or producers of the the production were there when the Milky Way or the moon were formed. I mean, Mr. Redford is getting a teeny bit older. But not THAT old. Not as old as dirt. Or space dust.
There were no witnesses. No written word. No verbal word. No stories passed from one generation to the next.
Therefore, making "this is what happened" statements, and presenting theory as fact, is misleading my children.
Way to get my dander up.
(You've probably heard of "revisionist history"? That means someone has revised history, changed it from one form to another. But when history is told with no knowledge of what happened, when they just surmise about what happened, does that means it is surmisionist history? )
Several times they even alluded to knowing how long something took to happen or to form -- "it is hard to believe but the moon was formed in just one month". Something else took a week, something else six months. And they seemed to have figured out just how long it will be before the Milky Way collides with the galaxy Andromeda too. They have clearly figured out what happened to the earth that caused the demise of Dino. And they spelled it out in gorgeous animation that made it look real.
To quote a much loved and missed character "Danjuh, danjuh, danjuh".
I'm so grateful I was with my kids so we can discuss the difference between fact and theory. Who knows how inaccuracies, however they are conveyed, can have a lifelong affect on our lambs?
Be wary mom and dad. Talk about everything.
Discuss.
Debate.
Do Not Assume.
Demand truth be told to these trusting little ones in your care.
"...be ye therefore wise as serpents..." (Matthew 10:16)
4 comments:
I love what you said at the end of your post..that is Great!! I always want to write this..but your verse Phil 4:8..is what I say to my kids all the time when they go some where..they all have it memorized and usually know what I am going to say!
-sandy toes
Information exists to debunk the theories of carbon dating, and has been around for at least 30 years, yet carbon dating is still seen as fact. I sometimes find myself discouraged with the vast amount of inaccurate and misleading information that is offered to us and to our children. Why is it so darn hard for a scientist to simply say "we think, but honestly, we really just don't know for sure".
On the other hand, we occasionally get to see science proving biblical history, which is so glorious! I am beginning to see that I might have a future scientist in my brood and, if so, I'd hope that his life would be used to glorify the Lord and his wonderful creation.
Homeschooling at it's best!
We are fortunate enough for our kids to go to a charter school...and God/creation, etc is not off limits. Many of the teachers are Christians, some are not, but they are so good to discuss everything They also encourage the kids to state their opinions AND to defend them.
Robert Redford was SUCH a hunky dream, but I've really gone off him in the last few years.
Post a Comment