
Snow! Snow! Snow!
Soup! Soup! Soup!!!
We usually only get snow only once per year. Today is the day! It is a day to stay home and celebrate. The rest of the week is a possibility too, as the temperatures will stay very low.
Because we don't get much snow, not many of us know how to drive in it very well. Adding to the drama of the day, it is very cold, so some of our roads are closed because of ice. Okay, I don't care if you DO know how to drive in snow. Ice should not be skated upon in a car. Bambi comes to mind...
The news coverage is showing cars sliding everywhere -- on side streets, on freeways, on BRIDGES! People are getting out and walking around. They are stopping and putting chains on cars. Very dangerous.
My niece was told she had to find a way to get in to work today at Nordstrom. Treacherous. Shame on Nordstrom. I am glad she stayed home anyway. I'd rather she lose her job than some other things she could lose. And who, may I ask, is even shopping today around here?
Menu Plan for the week:
Today I am making coffee cake, Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa (adapt to coffee for me) and French Onion Soup. Will probably throw in some Nacho Spuds this evening when we watch a movie, snuggled together under blankets. If we have electricity.
The rest of the week I am making more soup. Check my sidebar for tons of tried and true, yummy soup links.
And Macaroni and Cheese. Or Loaded BBQ Potato casserole.
And maybe a roast, cooked in a dutch oven just like my grandma used to make for me, served with mashed potatoes.
Comfort food week. (Obviously I am not abiding by the food prescription my ND has me on this week. I told her I am taking a break for Christmas and she was fine with that).
I'll be working this week on our food plans for Christmas. My extended family does a soup cook-off and a cookie bake-off, usually on Christmas Eve. The gathering is at our house. We even give out awards. I'll show you later.
I am looking forward to The Princess (little sister) coming into town from California. She always stays with us over Christmas Eve night. She isn't married so doesn't have children and enjoys seeing ours get their stockings and gifts on Christmas morning. Sometimes some of my brothers stay over too. It's very festive.
Have a hunker-down-and-relax-under-warm-blankies-with-those-you-love kind of week!
3 comments:
Mmmmm... there is NOTHING like a full house over a holiday.
Merry Christmas!
It sounds like you really know how to have fun! I love the soup and cookie Christmas cook-off. I can't wait to see hear more.
Don't you just love cozy homebodies. I made a roast in my crockpot and then pulled the roast out and cooked my pasta in the drippings. OMYummies. I also steamed some acron squash. There was nothing green except the celery that I threw into the roast...but it was hot, good and every single kid got their fill.
I loved reading about your family idea. Many fun traditions.
Post a Comment