;; But I Had A Tiara: Thinking Like Me

Monday, April 6, 2009

Thinking Like Me

Gosh, these days I guess I'd be a better "twitterer" than a blogger. Everything shared in bits.

It's been like this for me with reading too. Snippets. A little here, a little there. Why does that happen sometimes?

Tonight I am reading one of the many books my Grandma gave me last fall. Mmm, I even love the smell of it's musty pages.

As I am reading I chuckle. Are you ever struck with random thoughts that you figure no one else would ever think of? Do you ever hear or read something that you identify with so closely that either you laugh about it, or rejoice because someone has finally put into words something you have thought?

Tonight I am reading from a perfect "snippet" book. It's called "I've Got To Talk To Somebody God, A Woman's Conversations With God" written by Marjorie Holmes and published in 1968. It is comprised of lots of prayers.

Snippets for my current Twitterly stage.

She has a chapter called "Putting My House In Order" which is a collection of prayers over individual chores. Scrubbing The Floor, The Refrigerator, The Dishes, Unexpected Company, Prayer For Ironing are a few of the prayers she offers up.

She makes me laugh because she is random yet practical. Like me. I guess it's comforting to know I am not as random as I thought. Lots of people think these kinds of things. Phew.

Then she decides to pray a prayer of thanks for COLOR. I love it. Randomly being thankful for things we so often take for granted.

Here's a small excerpt of her sweet, random, skipping-here-and-there, one-thought-leads-to-another kind of thoughts. Like mine.

Oh God, how grateful we should all be for color.

For blue skies and blue eyes and this little blue dress that I'm hanging on the line.

For oranges vivid in the brown basket that sits upon my kitchen table. For the purple grapes that choke the fence, and the lavender cups of morning glories against a white garage.

What a lovely thing -- the interplay of colors in a paisley blouse. A throw rug. A bracelet. A vase on the shelf. I think of all the unsung artists and craftsmen who have produced them, and the marvelous routes and ways of trade and commerce that must weave and interplay -- like the intermingling colors -- to bring them all into my home to enrich and heighten the pattern of all our lives.

I wish you could read it all. So sweet.

~ Have you been "Twitterly" lately?
~ Do you have a favorite book or author that thinks like you or says what you want to say?

~ Do even your thoughts go off on bunny trails? Especially when you are trying to pray?

Have a wonderful evening!

6 comments:

Shell in your Pocket said...

I have not been the best blogger or twitter..life is just busy! I still don't get that twitter thing!
sandy toe

Gina said...

I'm about as communicative as a cell phone with a dead battery lately. I just can't get back into the groove.

I love the idea of prayers for individual chores. I seem to pray more when I'm doing something like scrubbing the floor because my mind wanders into conversation mode and if I don't talk with God I end up rehashing old angry conversations. It's a good thing that God is patient though because my mind wanders terribly when I pray.

Youthful One said...

Yes, I have. (Yet I don't Twitter.)

Yes I do. And I was just thinking yesterday that I'd like to take a moment to blog the snippets I've been wowed with recently.

Yes, they do. And certainly when I pray. Sometimes that's bothersome, but other times I believe it is the Holy Spirit directing my prayers.

christa jean said...

I love how your questions rhyme with each other!
Don't feel bad for taking a break... stop it though ;-D

Sarah Vertner said...

yes, random, yes sparse... I was attributing it to too much to think about and too little brain to process it all. I think about blogging something quick, but then can't seem to just say it in a few words... if only I had a brain :-D

Unknown said...

I love Marjorie Holmes. I have "Hold Me Up A Little Longer, Lord", written in much the same way.