;; But I Had A Tiara: The Household Cookbook 1894 With Biscuit Recipe

Monday, October 6, 2008

The Household Cookbook 1894 With Biscuit Recipe



It looks like I am the very happy recipient of a family heirloom.

A few months after my paternal Grandma passed away almost ten years ago, my Grandpa told us that whatever we didn't come and take right away, he was going to take to Goodwill! WHAT???!!! He said it was just too hard to go through it after having been married 59 years (in fact, this picture of my husband and me was taken at their 5oth wedding anniversary).

That experience could be a post in itself, but my post today is about a cookbook I received at that time. I didn't think it was my grandma's, but it was so gorgeous and OLD, I couldn't leave it to be taken to the Goodwill. It was originally printed in 1894 and this copy is copyrighted in 1902. Someone's name was in the front and I figured it had been one of their many garage sale finds.

Inside the front cover it says, in that pretty, old-fashioned cursive script,
"Alberta Rinehart From Mrs. Putzine"

Then scribbled at the top of the page there is a note that says "Fried Corn p 229", and another recipe written out further down, which I shall have to try to make, but it doesn't say what it is or how to cook it, only the ingredients and amounts.

Last year I took the cookbook out of my grandparents old trunk in our bedroom and began displaying it on a cookbook stand The Princess Sister gave me for Christmas one year. I enjoy having a bit of yesteryear out where I can see it each day.

So yesterday I was talking to my Naturally Gorgeous Auntie and she said it sounds like the cookbook belonged to my GREAT-Grandmother! I knew my grandma's step-mother's name was Grandma Birdie. I had no idea it was short for Alberta. But it makes sense doesn't it?

So now it is even more precious to me.

I got quite a kick out of looking at some of the recipes. They had a much different way of laying it all out. And some of the other things in it are very interesting too, like household hints and such.

I thought I'd share a very old biscuit recipe from this cookbook with you. I have been looking for my Grandma's recipe and was hoping it was tucked in here somewhere. It wasn't, but I found this one instead. It is one of 14 biscuit recipes in this one book. The way I measure when I cook, I should use this kind of cookbook more often!

The extra long spaces between some words and all punctuation, etc. is as it is in the book (but italics are mine):

Baking-Powder Biscuits. ----Have the oven hot to begin with, then rub a piece of butter the size of an English Walnut into a cup of flour, and butter your baking tins. Next put a level teaspoon of salt, and two heaping teaspoons of baking powder in the flour, and stir it well. Up to this time you can work leisurely, but from this onward, work as fast as you can "fly". Add a cup of sweet milk, stir it, and add enough more flour to make a soft dough; take it out onto the molding board
, and form it quickly into a round mass; cut it in 2 parts, then 4, then 8; give the pieces just a roll in the floured hands, put it in the tin and bake 8 or 10 minutes. The oven should brown them top and bottom in that time. Everybody likes them.

Yes, I am going to have to make these and get back to you:)

And tucked within it's pages are several other items which I enjoyed as much as the book itself. Like a time capsule. I'll show you later.

(To see more fun vintage items, you can visit Vintage Thingy Thursday each Thursday at Colorado Lady.)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a gem of a find! The cookbook, that is.
And what a gem of a friend I have in you because I want to taste those yummy bscuits that I KNOW you'll make for me. :)

Enjoy the cookbook. Enjoy remembering your Grandma. Enjoy the treasure of having something of Great Grandma's.

Sarah Vertner said...

I love it... why don't we still write our cook books with such nuances??

I think I'll try to incorporate something fun like "the size of an english walnut" into my next soup recipe!

Youthful One said...

I LOVE treasured old cookbooks!!!

My dad bought me one from Goodwill years ago, and I read it for fun, education and ideas. (Of course, I love to read most cookbooks for fun as it is...)

I'll have to swap you some of the interesting notes in mine as well. Unfortunately, it isn't an heirloom from my family. But it does bear an ancient Meier & Frank price tag.

Oh - and this is timely for me as well, as all weekend long I have been missing my (paternal) Grandma and wondering who inherited her recipe box. What a delight that you have some of the recipes your Grandma & Great Grandma enjoyed!

The Everett Seven said...

BTW... very cute pumpkin flower arrangement too!

Knauss House said...

I LOVED reading about the cookbook. Funny, isn't it, that neither of us knew that our paternal-maternal great grandma's name was Alberta?!

Because a whole chicken is on my menu plan I looked for the recipe you mentioned but on that page I only found the recipe for potatoes...I will try again but I think you just linked that recipe, not the page.

Kathi said...

What a treasure, Tiffany. That recipe is so funny and cute. Love that "size of a walnut" and the work must "fly." They spoke so differently back then. Thanks for sharing this. Kathi

Em said...

Tiffany,
Thanks for sharing that story. So, so special. I have a quilt my great, great grandmother made and it's truly one of my most treasured possessions. I'm one of those who needs the visuals of bygone times around me. It keeps me grounded somehow.

We just visited my grandmother this morning. That visit, combined with your post, makes me a little weepy!

By the way, the recipe in the book is exactly how I learned to make biscuits from my grandmother, with the exception of the baking tins.

Now I want to make biscuits!

Unknown said...

Hi ~ I got to your blog from 'Accidental Farm Wife' who linked to this post! I love it! :) I love old things that belonged to my grandmother also. I think I'll try that biscuit recipe!
Melissa

Donna @ Way More Homemade said...

I felt a little ignored. :) I've been behind on my blog reading this week. Life is just crazy busy.

What a treasure. I hope my kids, grand kids, great grand kids will treasure things of mine like my cookbooks. It's a legacy I want to leave.

And I could almost smell the bread baking from your other post. Yummm!

Coloradolady said...

This is a great gem of a book! I love it!!! So glad you kept it from going to GW!!! Happy VTT!

Sarah said...

What a fun treasure to have. I know you will enjoy reading and cooking from this book that belonged to your great-grandmother.

LV said...

Now that that is what I call a real vintage treasure. You are very fortunate to have received this. That definitely is a keeper..

Postcardy said...

I love the picture on the cover. Modern recipes are easier to follow, but this is more fun to read.

Deborah said...

It always amazes me how much history we lose because we don't communicate enough with the older generation. You are so lucky to have this link with your great grandmother. I too love the old cookbooks and the cover of this one is so sweet.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful treasure, those directions in the biscuit recipe are too funny.