
I have a long list of recipes I'd like to try. Years ago, I'd clip recipes that sounded good from magazines or newspapers, and I found a wonderful and organized way to keep track of all of them. Nowadays, I find most of my recipes online.
Many of them I find through Menu Plan Monday. Some are recipes I find myself because something sounds good, or I need to use up a particular item. Lots of times, a friend will send me something they love or they think sounds like something I'd enjoy making, or goes well with our attempts at eating a whole food diet.
They are all online.
So I searched and searched for something free I could use to categorize and store them. I found nothing. Many of the recipe sites allow you to save to your own recipe box. But then you have to visit each site to find your recipes, and you can't store recipes you find on blogs or other sites in the same place.
What I finally ended up doing is starting a private blog where I have a specific place for each category and hyperlink the name of the recipe for where I find it. I started doing this is 2008, so my list is quite long now. It has come in very handy during many of my meal planning sessions. And it has give my one place to store all of those items I just don't want to forget to try.
Do any of you have any other ways you store online recipes you'd like to try?
7 comments:
Before I purchased my Mac, I would email myself the recipes - I had a dedicated email for recipes.
I could then organize them into files - including T&T recipes, family favorites, etc.
When I purchased my Mac, I started searching for a recipe program. I admit, I didn't search much. I happened upon a good deal on MacGourmet through a MacUpdate promo and grabbed it. I have since seen a few others that looked great, but based upon countless comparative reviews, I'm glad I grabbed MacGourmet when I did.
(I know, you don't have a Mac. But maybe it will help a reader of yours who does.)
I save my recipes as emails.
/Tim
I have some recipes stored in a folder in an email, but loads from magazines that I rewrite in spiral recipe books. I like having them in a book, they just feel more real that way.
Collecting recipes is one of my hobbies :-)
I like your idea Tiffany. I think it's a great idea to start a blog about it. Maybe you should make it public for the rest of us??? Any way, I need a good solution. In the past I have emailed myself the link to the recipe, but your idea is much better. My kids have purchased lots of cookbooks for me for birthdays and Christmas. They have told me they will stop since I rarely use them. This indeed is the truth. It's not that they are not good; for they are wonderful cookbooks; it's my "fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants" life-style. I need to better myself and become a planner. That's my goal for this summer.
Anyway, I love that picture of the recipe box. The other thing I'd eventually like to do is take a photography class.
Kathi
I keep my recipes stored as MS word doc in a separate recipe folder.
Follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/thinkhybrid or check out my blog @ http://hybridnow.blogspot.com/
Hmmm.. I usually rely on my chicken scratch but it might be interesting to try to store them on computer. Great post!
Oh, I love this idea of having a place to store all of the online recipes I want to save and try in the future! I think I am going to do this myself! (Like I need another blog, even if it IS private, LOL!)
I am so glad to have visited you again! It has been way too long since I came by!
I noticed you have a post on a Breakfast Cookie below this post, and am going to check that out right now! I want to try it out! :)
Have a great day!
Post a Comment