;; But I Had A Tiara: You're Late! You're Late!

Sunday, February 21, 2010

You're Late! You're Late!

This morning I watched a piece on T.V. about why people are late. For my church-going friends, I thought this morning would be great timing to write about it because, no matter how well you think you have prepared, there's always that rush to get out the door on a Sunday morning!

There were many reasons they presented for why people are late including procrastination and people thinking they need to squeeze out every last minute of busy-ness. I was informed there are counselors specifically for helping people figure out why they are always late. It sort of amused me. I wonder how long it takes, if the counselor schedules them for an exact time and, if they do, if they tell the counselee a time that is 15 minutes earlier than what they write in their appointment book?

Like the weather, time always seems to be an issue and a topic of conversation:"Better late than never" contradicts "Better an hour too soon than a minute too late". "Do you know what time it is?" is a well known pick-up line. "I just haven't had time" is a commonly heard excuse phrase. The
official trailer of the new movie "Alice In Wonderland" even includes a line about being late (I know there is a famous line in that book, but this is slightly different).

I was always taught that people who are perpetually late think their time is more important than everyone else's. I think there is some truth to this, even just in perception, but I don't think it is the answer.

I have friends who are perpetually late. And I have friends who hate being late. I can't think of a friend I have about whom I would say they would never be late. Some people don't even notice when you are late. Some people are really bothered by it. And some people never forget. Based on me being late about twice or three times in over 25 years, one of my friends has indicated several times that I am "always late".

I would definitely not say I am "always late". But it isn't unheard of, that's for sure. I don't like being late, but there is also a difference between being late for, say, a wedding, vs. a casual appointment with a friend. With a friend, it is usually something like "Let's meet around 10" or, "I'll probably be there around 10", rather than "It starts at 10".

If one of my friends is 5 minutes late, give or take a couple of minutes, I don't really consider it as late. Probably because, living in the country myself, it takes longer to get everywhere and I understand that it is difficult to anticipate traffic and road construction.



It's all about that pesky clock that just keep ticking. If I am late, it is usually because I have overestimated time -- either how much time has passed or how long a certain activity will take and how much I can fit in. Sometimes I just lose track of time then suddenly it dawns on me. I look at my watch and start that scramble we all know all too well. Time just gets away from me!





Are you a late person? How do you feel when others are late to a meeting with you? If you are late, why would you usually say that is?


Have a punctual week,


Never Too Late
It is never too late to be happy;
It is never too late to smile;
It is never too late to extend a hand
With a cheering word once in a while.
For there's never a sorrow or worry
In all this green-covered earth
But is followed soon by a gladsome joy
And a generous measure of mirth.
~ Jeanette H. Carey

5 comments:

Double Wide Mom said...

When I'm late to church I blame the traffic, which doesn't sit well as we live in the pastorium behind the church.... :)

Anonymous said...

If I wasn't "always late" but someone said that about me, I think it would get under my skin and make me uncomfortable for a while. That would bother me. I do find punctuality to be important and therefore try my best to be on time, I really do. But, I'm not always on time. I've been late to many things many times.

I find that going from 1 child to 3 children (literally over night) leaves me scrambling more to be on time. I don't blame the kids, but I find it's harder to guage time trying to get 3 kids out the door vs just 1. It's getting easier.

Maybe because I don't WANT to be late is why it would rub me the worng way if someone refered to me as "always late".

If in fact I WAS always late, and this became my reputation, then I think I would need to check my habits and heart to see if I truely did consider punctuality to be an important character trait.

I just now did a quick google search to see if there was anything about this in the Bible and though I don't see any specific instructions to people about being on time, I do see a lot of wonderful things about God's timing; which I know is always perfect. He's never late.

I think His Son would probably have the same characteristics of His Father! So I, too, am going to strive to be on time. I won't always make it, and I'm thankful for a gracious God who is patient with me.

I will also strive to have patience with people who are late and leave ME waiting for THEM.

Hm. Good post. Got me thinking!

Anonymous said...

(I know I've already written a blog post in your comment section, but just wanted to add that I think it's peculiar that you were labled "always late". I don't find that to be true at all.)

Anonymous said...

I must admit to being a person that hates being late. Because of that, I am hardly ever late and most times early, at least when I am going alone. I married a man who does not always mind being a little late. He doesn't plan on it, but at times it happens. I think we have found some ground to compromise over the years. I also think that once kids come along, all good intentions fly right out the window. I do believe that true friends understand and think it is just great if we show up at all. Much love to you.

A Romantic Porch said...

Oh what a cute poem. I hate to be late, but sometimes I am about 10 minutes and I always silently trying to analyze what I could have done differently.

You are a great blogger, Tiffany!
xo rachelf